Why were Blood Bowl teams designed to be tiered?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Why were Blood Bowl teams designed to be tiered?

Post by Saebelsultan »

I was dicussing this with a mate. While we generally agreed that the current tier system within the Blood Bowl teams is good as it is, we were wondering why it was conceived this way? So the question is:

Why were Blood Bowl teams designed to be tiered and not to be all equal?

Reason: ''
"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Why were Blood Bowl teams designed to be tiered?

Post by Pedda »

To offer a challenge for experienced players?

To lighten up games perhaps. If you're playing a tier 3 team, you'll probably not take it as serious.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

As I understand it, part of it is a recognition of how sports actually work i.e. it is highly unlikely that Manchester United are likely to loose to 'Bob's Pub Team' - the races give the game diversity and allow for a mismatch.

If you want two 'equal' teams then you have to have a system like chess and even there there is a recognition that going 1st is an advantage. If things are not 'equal' anyway, why not embrace it and actually make it part of the game rather than some perpetual 'meta-game/powercreep' tinkering program - who would do that :D

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Since those tiers are never mentioned in any rulebook that I know of, I think it is something made by the community.
The teams themselves were probably developed with lore and fun in mind, rather than actual difficulty of playing them.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Regash wrote:Since those tiers are never mentioned in any rulebook that I know of, I think it is something made by the community.
The teams themselves were probably developed with lore and fun in mind, rather than actual difficulty of playing them.
Plus this paragraph that is right before the rosters:
Designer's Note: Some teams are more challenging than the others to play either because of their skills requiring advanced strategies to be effective or because they have difficulty winning. These teams have been designed this way on purpose to give challenges to coaches who master the basics of Blood Bowl. These more challenging teams are: Chaos, Dark Elf, Goblin, Halfling, Khemri, Nurgle, Ogre and Vampire. Coaches should be aware that these are considered teams for more advanced players and can be confusing or difficult to use if you are new to the game.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

lol

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

voyagers_uk wrote:lol
Ditto!

Never accuse gw of concious design.... Regash is closer to the truth than further away....

Witness the current male chicken-ups in "2016" and the need of the past BBRC to contend with and modify the Khemri roster....

Gw wouldn't know a good rules set if they contracted an outside company to write it!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Regash

Post by Regash »

Yep, some are designed to be more challenging and the rulebook acknowledges that.
But still no f**king word about any tiers, is there?!?

This tier-crap comes solely from the tournament scene, nothing else.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Wasn't it the BBRC who brought up the tier system?

I suspect goblins and halflings are awful as the fluff made a point about that being the case. So when the rules for them in 3rd edition were written they were made deliberately weak.

The Blood Bowl tiers have pretty much everyone in tier 1 and they are all roughly equal and the joke teams in tier 3 with the likes of vamps and underworld in 2 or 1.5.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

BBRC designed the tiers.

gjnoronh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gjnoronh »

Blaming GW for team balance that is the result of 6 generations of LRB tinkering by BBRC between GW editions seems a bit strange.
GW took the fan adjusted rules of LRB6 and made some very minor tweaks to give us BB16.

The tiering of the teams and overall team rules in general is a result of LRB6 (unless you think weeping daggers, Timberr, and human catchers at 60K has somehow changed the power balance.)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Bummer to see history keep getting lost.

Yes the Tiers were a deliberate design feature of the Blood Bowl design by the BBRC with full approval from Games Workshop to do so.

Very frequently during the design process on this website the Tiers were discussed at length and how teams were reaching those points.

Sorry Digger and Regash ... they were conscious and very planned out and GW approved. Just because we did not spell them out in the rulebook exactly does not mean they were not a heavy part of the new rules design.

This webpage is correct for the information on the Tiers.
http://bbowl.wikia.com/wiki/Current_Blood_Bowl_Teams

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

So when the game was released first, and I do not mean redesigned versions after 3rd edition, Jervis Johnson had tiers in mind? Sorry mate...I believe Regash brought it exactly to the point: the original intention was fun and nothing else. The more serious stuff came in way later....with a different style of hobbyists.

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

Not only were the teams deliberately tiered but the tiers themselves were explicitally defined as part of the rules creation process.

To quote Galak from around when LRB6 was released:
Tier 3: Ogre, Halfling, Goblin
Tier 2: Vampire, Underworld
Tier 1: Everybody else

Tier 1 is defined as winning on average in league play 45% to 55% of the time. (with ties counting as 1/2 wins)
Tier 2 is defined as 35% to 45%
Tier 3 is defined as 25% to 35%
http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... 87#p479287

I have no idea of the notion of tiers existed from the inception of Blood Bowl or was a happy accidental that was later adopted and codified into the rules design process. Either way, to answer the OP, current Blood Bowl teams were designed to be tiered.

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

Regash wrote:Yep, some are designed to be more challenging and the rulebook acknowledges that.
But still no f**king word about any tiers, is there?!?

This tier-crap comes solely from the tournament scene, nothing else.
Yes, the teams are divided into groups based on difficulty and this is mentioned in the rulebook. Is "tier" one of your trigger words or something?