Death Zone season 2, what might be

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Death Zone season 2, what might be

Post by Digger Goreman »

Deathrain wrote:..., if done well.
:lol: ain't happened yet! :lol:

Reason: ''
LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Deathrain wrote:That sounds like some pretty huge additions with stadium rules and all that. Lends itself well to more team individualization, if done well.
Yea, it looks like there is a lot more new stuff this time around that DZ1. I'm pretty intrigued.

Goblins soon, but I really can't wait for the new Skaven models. I've got mine assembled finally, but will wait for those additional models so I'll be all set to start painting.

Slothman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Slothman »

Darkson wrote:DZ26 - contains a reworded Block skill (one word changed), a new team (Low Elves - like High Elves, but their throwers don't have Safe Throw) and the 25th version of the PO skill.
Oh, and another errata.

:wink:
The worst part about this post....

Its believable

:lol: :lol:

Mystic Force
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mystic Force »

While generally positive about all things Bloodbowl, I have seen various versions of special ref rules and stadiums specific etc over the years, lets just say they haven't been "fully developed". Basically my issue of previous tries is that they tend to unbalance things, like rules making passing harder or adding to much money, helping injure players too easily. So that's the one I will have to see. The one thing these rules have never done was make the ball on the ground bashing plays harder because what dice rolls would you modify?

Still no wizards so we will be waiting for that one, fewer teams than I expected, and with a lot of optional rules, do we need this add on? I will be getting ASAP but I can imagine less dedicated coaches skipping it unless its got a team they want to play.

However I am always excited for any new Bloodbowl opportunity. Block on.......

EDIT:

As I started the topic it is only fair that I comment on the accuracy of my original speculation. On review it was so broad I was going to hit a few targets like the goblins, although others already knew they were coming at the time. Didn't see re-release of old team ranges to fill in some gaps while they wait to release new versions of these teams. I would say I was about 40% right so not bad.

I am a pro "fun" guy.
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Seems someone's been snaphappy with a copy of Death Zone: Season 2 already. Swoop anyone?

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Via GeeDub:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-3/

As you might have guessed from the name, Season Two is a continuation of what we started in Season One. That is, it’s a resource for Blood Bowl players of all sorts, whether you’re a hardened tournament veteran or a fresh-faced rookie. The first thing you notice when you look at it, though, is that it’s a bit more chunky! Season Two weighs in at 80 pages (as opposed to Season One’s 48), and we’ve crammed it with new rules and background.

First up, there are thirteen new Star Players, from old favourites like Barik Farblast and Helmut Wulf, to new faces like Karla von Kill and Kreek Rustgouger (a.k.a. the Verminator). We’ve gone all-out to ensure that these sporting legends are given their due; in the past, Star Players have been resigned to a small boxout at best, and have sometimes been nothing more than a single-line profile! Here, with two pages each (and some stunning vignette artwork), they really come to life. Trust me, once you’ve seen the manic gleam in Helmut Wulf’s eyes, you’ll think twice about tangling with him on the pitch!

Following on from the Star Players, there is a section of new optional rules for leagues. As we see it, Death Zone Season One pretty much completes the core Blood Bowl experience, especially for tournament play (not counting a couple of minor omissions – don’t worry, long-time coaches, Wizards will be back!).

The optional league rules in Season Two are intended to bring a bit more detail and narrative to games. They essentially form a toolkit for League Organisers, letting them tailor their league to suit their gaming group. Are your coaches wanting to use Star Players more often? Use the rules for permanently adding Star Players to your roster. Want to give teams more character? There are rules for finding a home stadium, complete with odd quirks (my personal favourite being the Sloping Pitch, which causes the ball to scatter using the throw-in template as it rolls downhill!).

Coaches clamouring for more cash? Give them the option to broker a sponsorship deal… which, as you can imagine, comes with absolutely no risks or negative consequences whatsoever (wink, wink). There are even rules for introducing famous referees to the game – sadly, Max “Kneecap” Mittelmann has gone back into retirement, but here you’ll find a number of colourful characters more than willing to teach ill-behaved players a lesson or two.

Finally, (in)famous coaching staff such as Galandril Silverwater and Papa Skullbones can give unique support to teams from the sidelines – for the right price!…and that’s not all! Phew, I hadn’t realised how much we’d managed to fit into this book.

Next, you’ll find a trio of “new” teams: Goblins, Chaos Renegades and Underworld Denizens. Currently, all three are available in the Teams of Legend pdf download (having been a part of the game for some time), but this is the first time they’ve seen print in the new edition. There are a couple of tweaks to the teams. Most notably, Goblins – long known for the secret weapons they use to even the odds – have two new contraptions to choose from. We won’t spoil the surprise, except to say that one of them is an old favourite from many years ago and the other one… well, it might be the most Goblin-y of the lot.

The next section of the book should be cause for rejoicing: it’s the Skills Update! Based on feedback from the community, we’ve included a full skills list. You’ll find all the skills from Season One (with any errata and clarifications applied), plus the ones from the Teams of Legend pdf and a couple of new ones for this Season.

Just like in Season One, the last ‘proper’ section of the book is the Hall of Fame. Here you’ll find six famous teams, each with a powered-up roster representing them at a notable point in their career and a special rule that makes them play in a unique, interesting way.

I’m a big fan of the Chaos All-Stars 2488-2489 squad, who are led by Morg ‘n’ Thorg – Blood Bowl’s biggest and meanest player! After the Hall of Fame, you’ll find the reference section, covering all the teams and Star Players from Blood Bowl and both Death Zone seasons, capping off a corker of a book.

As a team, we’re really proud of this book. We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed writing it!

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Too late at this point, but I'm really hoping the DZ2 book is stapled and not glued. Since BB books are typically used as rule/reference books, it really helps if they lay flat on a table. The rule book that came with the boxed set works just fine (its stapled), but DZ1 is a bit of a pain to reference. Guess we will see soon, but just something I hope they keep in mind.

Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Babs »

JT-Y writes:
Karla is 220k by the way. And it's a bleedin' delight to be able to confirm this.
Thank you JT-Y. Much appreciated. I'm picking up my DZ2 tomorrow. 8)

=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

faust_33 wrote:Too late at this point, but I'm really hoping the DZ2 book is stapled and not glued. Since BB books are typically used as rule/reference books, it really helps if they lay flat on a table. The rule book that came with the boxed set works just fine (its stapled), but DZ1 is a bit of a pain to reference. Guess we will see soon, but just something I hope they keep in mind.
Sorry, it's glued. I'm not sure staples would be able to handle a book this thick. But I've expressed something similar to them already myself.

Milo

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

Death Zone Season Two - A Quick Review
New Star Players, Pact/Reengages and Goblins have already been discussed. Here is an overview of the rest of the new rules

New Inducement: (In)Famous Coaches
Race specific Inducements ranging from a Goblin who re-rolls bribes; a Norse Cheerleader who can become and extra player; Elven Cheerleader who gives extra TRR when you score; Chaos Shaman who grants random mutations and an Apprentice Wizard who casts a Fireball that scatters! Costing between 50-80k these seem a very good addition and balanced.

Optional Rules
Rostering Star Players
You pay the cost to hire the Star Player and they join your team and gain Fan Fave skill. You then have to pay them an appearance fee (10k per 50k of cost) each game or they quite the team. For example paying 30k a game to have a Chainsaw or 40k for Eldril. I can see myself hiring a star near the end of the Season so you have them for all the play off matches.

Sponsorship
They found a use for the D16 which makes these difficult to get as you need 20+ with modifiers to get sponsored. The amount of TD/CAS you inflicted and if the game is playoff/final all give bonuses. Sponsorship gives extra gold for each match players but a 1/6 chance a random player upsets the sponsor and gets ruffed up (MNG). Sponsorship helps to pay for a Star Player on your team which is good synergy.

Famous Refs
A random roll (like weather) to see if a Famous Ref comes to the match. While the Halfling has a change of sending the fouled player not fouler off these all just make fouling worse and each have there own special rules. I am not impressed by this one.

Stadiums
This is the big addition. Seven pages of rules for playing at none-standard stadiums. A random roll (like weather) to see if the match is at a none-standard stadium. A roll of 6-8 is normal anything else you roll again and they range from stone floors (+1 Injury); Corrupt Officials (Free Bribes); having a fence or silent fans (FAME=0). There is additional rules for becoming resident and taking ownership of stadium as well as a bank that will help you save the 250k to buy the stadium. There is a lot of rules and dice rolls and even once you have a stadium there is only about a 30% you will play a match at your home ground. It is a nice addition for long term leagues to give a team something to aim for but given how often players forget Weather I am not sure how much they will be used.

Khar-peth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Khar-peth »

Lyracian wrote:Death Zone Season Two - A Quick Review
Optional Rules
Rostering Star Players
You pay the cost to hire the Star Player and they join your team and gain Fan Fave skill. You then have to pay them an appearance fee (10k per 50k of cost) each game or they quite the team. For example paying 30k a game to have a Chainsaw or 40k for Eldril. I can see myself hiring a star near the end of the Season so you have them for all the play off matches.
kinda like this one, could be a sweet change for leagues if balanced.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Glart must be getting old, and fatter. Nice drop in cost :)

New book looks great :D

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Khar-peth wrote:
Lyracian wrote:Death Zone Season Two - A Quick Review
Optional Rules
Rostering Star Players
kinda like this one, could be a sweet change for leagues if balanced.
It's pretty well balanced. Combined with Expensive Mistakes stuff like this can be harder to maintain, especially if you need to replace dead or injured players.
It combines nicely with Sponsorship's so that you might do some dubious deals to bring in the cash.

And for longer leagues if cash is found to be too easy to come by, you can always introduce Spiraling Expenses and really make cash handling a challenge.

It ain't for everyone, but there are a lot of players who want their league to be a story more than a campaign and really get into the narrative side of running a team through thick and thin. Stuff like this gives them tools to explore that.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Loving this new book, background writting and art work are fantastic. Loving the new stars, fair play. Great job :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

The art work may be great, but we're only up to Death Zone 2 and already they're reusing pictures from DZ1!