Grak and Crumbleberry

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Grak and Crumbleberry

Post by hutchinsfairy »

mikeyc222 wrote:I just think the situation isn't nearly as dire as people seem to want to make it out to be. There has been an awful lot of doom and gloom on this forums since BB2016. I find it a little sad, honestly.
I think at least part of that is self-selecting bias. If you're happy with BB2016 then there's not much impetous to say so. People are much more compelled to voice anxieties about a couple of changes that stand out than they are to drop into a thread just to say "still fine".

I am, overall, delighted that BB is having new life breathed into it and am broadly happy with the new rules (or lack thereof) but you wouldn't know it to read most of my posts because they are invariably going to focus on aspects that I would like to change.

Of course people are going to be anxious over changes to Blood Bowl and of course they are going to feel the need to voice those concerns. Telling people to be quietly grateful (which I am not accusing you of doing) misses both the points that are being made and the point of a forum generally.

Reason: ''
JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Half sized, what they call character sprues. One was planned to contain 4 as an add on for the Orcs, but they decided to push the limits and do a second with two more, balls and tokens and have the option to create a team.
They couldn't add a third with the secret weapons and the like included, not in the same time as they're working to bring us other plastic teams.

It's a shame, but I'm happy enough with what I've seen.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

hutchinsfairy wrote:
mikeyc222 wrote:I just think the situation isn't nearly as dire as people seem to want to make it out to be. There has been an awful lot of doom and gloom on this forums since BB2016. I find it a little sad, honestly.
I think at least part of that is self-selecting bias. If you're happy with BB2016 then there's not much impetous to say so. People are much more compelled to voice anxieties about a couple of changes that stand out than they are to drop into a thread just to say "still fine".

I am, overall, delighted that BB is having new life breathed into it and am broadly happy with the new rules (or lack thereof) but you wouldn't know it to read most of my posts because they are invariably going to focus on aspects that I would like to change.

Of course people are going to be anxious over changes to Blood Bowl and of course they are going to feel the need to voice those concerns. Telling people to be quietly grateful (which I am not accusing you of doing) misses both the points that are being made and the point of a forum generally.
That's all true, but just the same, I think everyone could probably do with a little bit of positive feedback. For one, it helps those of us who have some input on the rules to know that we're on the right track. Also, it will help prevent new coaches who may discover Talk Fantasy Football for the first time from getting a very negative opinion of the new rules.

Of course, nothing will ever make 100% of the players 100% happy. We know that. If we add too many new things, people complain about power creep and creating rules just to fuel sales; if we don't add anything, people complain about paying for regurgitated rules. It's a catch-22, but one that I THINK people will find we navigated well in DZ2. Lots of fun stuff, some new stuff, nothing game breaking.

That's not even counting the situations where you have two coaches who are diametrically opposed on certain rules. We don't have any of those cases here, do we? :o

There's certainly been good feedback here, which JT-Y and I have passed on. But of course, even great ideas take time to implement, and we can't always talk about it (nor are we always informed). You can be sure it's being heard. Whenever possible, we try to explain decisions and factors that other people may not have considered, such as the discussion about designing plastic sprues.

Milo

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Milo wrote: Consider the GW box sets to be for the mass market audience -- new and returning coaches who want to get started but have a minimal investment up front. (Impact fills this niche with their Trollcast teams too, many of which also duplicate positions.) Forgeworld is producing boutique kits for coaches who want to take the next step, such as the Skaven expansion pack, the Bright Crusaders and Orcland Raiders kits. GW is also notably not interfering with the existing 3P market, so the full metal teams will still be available for coaches who really want them -- and the new coaches GW brings into the game will increase, hopefully, the number of coaches looking for those Kickstarters and boutique teams eventually.
"Orcland Raiders kit"?! Huh, whaaat?!!! On Forgeworld? So is this a different team like they are offering with the Bright Crusaders?

Oh, and I'll also just throw this out there regarding the Winter Bowl....Amazon/Norse pitch, jungle on one side and snow on the other. Then I would forget all about that limited Winter kit that I'll never be able to get my hands on. :P

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

faust_33 wrote:"Orcland Raiders kit"?! Huh, whaaat?!!! On Forgeworld? So is this a different team like they are offering with the Bright Crusaders?

Oh, and I'll also just throw this out there regarding the Winter Bowl....Amazon/Norse pitch, jungle on one side and snow on the other. Then I would forget all about that limited Winter kit that I'll never be able to get my hands on. :P
Yep, the Orcland Raiders are the same sort of idea as the Bright Crusaders, resin pieces added to the plastic sprues (although in grey, not green) to give you a distinctly different feel. Or you could mix and match them to get some variety in your positions.

Milo

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

hutchinsfairy wrote:Telling people to be quietly grateful (which I am not accusing you of doing) misses both the points that are being made and the point of a forum generally.
i'm not telling anyone to be quite. i'm simply saying that it makes me a little sad to see so much negativity on these forums because GW actually did what we have all been wanting for so long, and put the game back on shelves. this forum has gone from a fun place (ok, maybe a little bit of bickering here and there) with good info, to the land of torches and pitchforks. i have been visiting less and less often lately because reading all this negativity just bums me out.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Milo wrote:
faust_33 wrote:"Orcland Raiders kit"?! Huh, whaaat?!!! On Forgeworld? So is this a different team like they are offering with the Bright Crusaders?

Yep, the Orcland Raiders are the same sort of idea as the Bright Crusaders, resin pieces added to the plastic sprues (although in grey, not green) to give you a distinctly different feel. Or you could mix and match them to get some variety in your positions.
Cool, I could see that practice working really well with Skaven. Then you could have a different looking Underworld team. Hopefully we also see an expansion pack for Humans and Orcs. The Dwarves can probably get by without one, but the Orcs really need some additional BOBs.

Djay
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Djay »

mikeyc222 wrote:
hutchinsfairy wrote:Telling people to be quietly grateful (which I am not accusing you of doing) misses both the points that are being made and the point of a forum generally.
i'm not telling anyone to be quite. i'm simply saying that it makes me a little sad to see so much negativity on these forums because GW actually did what we have all been wanting for so long, and put the game back on shelves. this forum has gone from a fun place (ok, maybe a little bit of bickering here and there) with good info, to the land of torches and pitchforks. i have been visiting less and less often lately because reading all this negativity just bums me out.
I think there's a point that GW should make their miniatures easier to buy a full-team without getting a bunch of "waste", but I also agree with you about the tone here since the new release. I think there are definitely things about the release worth being upset about (the amount/type of errors in the rules, Grak/Crumbleberry, etc.), but our local community has really benefited from the re-release. I'd love it if this community could go back to more of a helpful feeling than the constant state of agitation I see now...as it is, I pretty much stick to the miniatures forum and don't come read these threads as much. Not to say it's just here...almost all of the Blood Bowl forums I visit have had the same change. :|

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

GW could easily reset the tone with a mea culpa, official apology, for their legal shenanigans. Then produce well thought out, reviewed and quality oriented products/rules....

What is out now looks like rank incompetence and/or just more hubris....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

It's a huge success. Yet no DZ2 translations? :-?

Some people weren't happy with the paper thingy in the boxes, and now it seems only fully translated product is DZ1. Success losing steam? Translation work delayed DZ2 to another print run? What?

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

Steam Ball wrote:It's a huge success. Yet no DZ2 translations? :-?

Some people weren't happy with the paper thingy in the boxes, and now it seems only fully translated product is DZ1. Success losing steam? Translation work delayed DZ2 to another print run? What?
Is it really confirmed DZ2 won't be translated? Bummer.

Kafre es Ispurio
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kafre es Ispurio »

This!

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

Kafre es Ispurio wrote:
This!
I mean you could argue that DZ1 got a translation because pretty much everything in that book had already been (well) translated ages ago. The changes they made were small editing jobs. If DZ2 now requires 60% or more of it to be translated, that increases the cost quite significantly. Still worrying.

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Let me ask someone about the translations for you. I'll report back.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Kafre es Ispurio
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kafre es Ispurio »

Deathrain wrote:
Kafre es Ispurio wrote:
This!
I mean you could argue that DZ1 got a translation because pretty much everything in that book had already been (well) translated ages ago. The changes they made were small editing jobs. If DZ2 now requires 60% or more of it to be translated, that increases the cost quite significantly. Still worrying.
That would make sense if the main box rulebook was also completely translated instead of an 8 page resume, and if the Death Zone 1 wasn't an almost new translation, with renamed skills and rules (as GFI or MVP). Right now the Spanish community has:

1. English rulebook + 8 page Spanish resume.
2. Cards from the box in English + Webpage cards translation.
3. Death Zone 1 in Spanish (new translation) with references to the English rulebook. And Spanglish names (this could be a request from GW though)
4. Different sets of cards translated -almost sure- with Google translator.
5. Death Zone 2 in English.
JT-Y wrote:Let me ask someone about the translations for you. I'll report back.
Thank you.