Spike Journals, Team Card Packs and card sleeves...?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Jembo17
Veteran
Veteran

Spike Journals, Team Card Packs and card sleeves...?

Post by Jembo17 »

Hey guys, I was wanting to canvas opinion on:

1. Spike Journals.
Do many people buy them?
Do you find them useful, or are they just good for the fluff of the game?

2. Team Card Packs.
Again, do many people buy them?
I have a few, and I know you get special play cards that you can't get elsewhere, but they seem pretty expensive for the cards in each that you probably find useful.

3. What happened to the card sleeves with the Blood Bowl logo on them? They seemed to be released and have now just faded into obscurity.

Many thanks, just wanted to pick peoples brains!

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Spike Journals, Team Card Packs and card sleeves...?

Post by lunchmoney »

1 - personally no, but they have team lists and star players, so are useful.
2 - no. Appear to be a waste of time. I recommend my locals avoid.
3 - they were limited edition.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Jembo17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jembo17 »

lunchmoney wrote:1 - personally no, but they have team lists and star players, so are useful.
2 - no. Appear to be a waste of time. I recommend my locals avoid.
3 - they were limited edition.
Out of curiosity then, from where do you reference your star players if you don't have the journals or the team card packs?

And 'Limited Edition' seems a bit daft to me as people will always want to protect their cards (as I have found from recently getting into Shadows of Brimstone). Although that does also explain why they're listed as £30 a pack on eBay. :o

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Jembo17 wrote:Out of curiosity then, from where do you reference your star players if you don't have the journals or the team card packs?
I rarely use star players and when I do I look up the NAF legal stars.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
montanhas18
Rookie
Rookie

Post by montanhas18 »

1 - No. I rather buy the compediums, and even that I dislike because they don't compile all cumulative info, I need multiple books to be sure I have every rule.
2 - No.

Skitters
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Skitters »

Spike - not essential, but overall are nice products with nice fluff and strategy guides. However, I think the value of them (or at least so far issues 1-3) has been undermined by the Almanac which reproduces all the content plus a few extras.

I personally think the strategy guide should be spike only and that the Almanac should have a bit more original content or cover 4 teams.

that said I do have spikes 4, 5 and (hopefully tomorrow) 6. But it does seem an area that I could save money by snipping on by just being a little more parient....

Team cards - have them all, never really used them. I do like the artwork and the reading the special play cards. The player cards you can update seem a little flawed to me (how to update them so after game 3 they are still legible, having space for 11-16 of them). I'll probably still get them, but it is purely as a collection than real use (though I have mixed all the special play cards out)

Sleeves - feeling like a GW cash cow I have these as well...I am though down to my last pack so, as it seems they are no longer produced, I'll need to rethink how I've used them (currently to protect star player and special play cards). Probably a little frivolous given the lack of use of the cards - though I think they may be more practical for the new inducement cards that are being released which I think I will likely use.

Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

I like the spikes for the fluff more than anything else.

Rules changes are minor enough and can generally be gotten from various places after a while anyway (at least the roster/star players).

The rest I never saw the point of really.

ManticoreRich
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ManticoreRich »

Skitters wrote:though I think they may be more practical for the new inducement cards that are being released which I think I will likely use.
Inducement cards are double sided, so unfortunately the BB logo will obscure some of the details.

DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

1. I bought two of them and then the compendium came out and I...felt pretty damn stupid. In fact, I was even a bit bitter about it, as, to me, it felt like being fooled as a customer. Personally I do like the content of the Spike! magazines, but releasing a compendium by the end of the year now rather keeps from buying anything at release time.

2. I'd love to, but with 12+ Euros at certain retailers it's still expensive for...aset of cards. Using them thou I'm all for that. So if you have some, use as many as possible, they're great fun.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

1. I buy all the Spikes as I like reading the background and seeing the illustrations. From a modelling perspective it really helps when converting stars.

2. Don't see the point in the cards, they just get in the way.

3. Same with sleeves.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Sleeves being 'limited edition' or 'one print run and done' seems to be the GW thing, as it's the same with the Underworlds sleeves (the game, not the BB team).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Jembo17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jembo17 »

Anyone here sleeve their cards in anything other than the limited edition sleeves?

Was wondering about what works best. Thanks.

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

1. I buy them so I don't have to wait an unknown amount of months for the next Almanac. They are useful for new rules, expanding the game. The bad part about the spike magazines is that they don't contain "everything". Specifically, they don't include the pitch/weather rules and special ball rules.
2. I buy them, mainly as pointed out, not available anywhere else. And yes, bloody expensive for 3-5 cards!
3. Don't know, I got some, but as they keep releasing cards, I need more!

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

Jembo17 wrote:Anyone here sleeve their cards in anything other than the limited edition sleeves?

Was wondering about what works best. Thanks.
I re-print my cards into magic size. Works much better because of smaller size and fits the bunch of fancy magic card deck boxes.

TopsyKretts
Experienced
Experienced

Post by TopsyKretts »

Jembo17 wrote: Out of curiosity then, from where do you reference your star players if you don't have the journals or the team card packs?
Star players are available in the almanacs. They're also available in my personal awesome complete list of all star players, new, old and rare (not found in almanacs or spike magazines).