Blood Bowl 2016 - the full list of changes

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Blood Bowl - the full list of changes

Post by dode74 »

fanglord13 wrote:
dode74 wrote:You knew the rule, so you knew the risk, surely?

When it comes to the halflings, I'm not as worried about the actual coin as they don't really need that much money. I'm doing it as an example of how draconian and unfair the system is to low tier/TV teams. People saying that this hurts dwarves are idiots as dwarves only need a small treasury as they don't replace players as often.

This system really hurts Chaos teams that need to be even a moderate TV to be competitive and fun.
Keep treasury below 290 and you won't fall that low at all. I think it's a really good method: after all, who needs a treasury above 290k?

Reason: ''
fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

With the other new rules the encouragement is there for you to spend some money on inducements to keep your options open and treasury lower on teams that can (and do) end up hoarding gold. The mechanism is there, you just have to use it properly :)

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

Re-Drafting, Expensive Mistakes, Draw Cards and the new inducement rule will change the game alot.

Now you have to watch out for players getting old, an opponent with massive cash to buy inducements, what and wich cards to be prepered for and how much you dare to have in your coffers

Its not the standard game we are used to play - its how we will change the coaching and gaming.

I love it! After 14 years of gaming I see this as a great challange to re-think my old strategies!!!

Happy New Year!

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

There lies the crux of the matter, many people don't like to have to rethink their strategies. I agree with you that it is good for people to have to rethink how they do things once and awhile, keeps things interesting.

Just my 5 cents (no more pennies here in Canada so don't have 2 cents). :wink: :P

GO STAMPEDERS!
El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

Colin wrote:There lies the crux of the matter, many people don't like to have to rethink their strategies. I agree with you that it is good for people to have to rethink how they do things once and awhile, keeps things interesting.

Just my 5 cents (no more pennies here in Canada so don't have 2 cents). :wink: :P
Actually I like to rethink my strategies. So that's not the beef I have with the 2016 rules.
It is the inconsistencies like making you draw from two decks, one of 50k, the other of 200k.
Or simply nerfing Piling-On beyond Sneaky Git and spreading the rules over 5 sources (because we needed errata and FAQ's from day 1). I feel that we deserve a better set of rules for such a beautiful game.
To me it is offending to have skills in the rules set which are 'never' to be picked. Sure there are staple skills and more exotic ones. Useless skills don't belong in a quality rules set.

That's maybe why most platforms are sticking to CRP, at least it is really clear in one document.

I guess I'll play the new rules if it comes up but personally I'm not for the Re-drafting in a season because it rewards better teams more. We play in a very small league and reboot every season to give new teams and coaches at least a shot. I do consider putting in a fixed (low) value at which you can start teams, instead of the standard 1000 kgc.

PS: I might have been frustrated while writing this reply, do apply salt where needed ;)

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
WhyNotPurple wrote:Can anybody confirm if the special play cards changed from the CRP?

I understand that they renamed the deck "Random Events" to "Miscellaneous Mayhem" and vice versa, but don't know if the cards in the decks changed.
Not had time to go through all 20 one by one ... but I was told that Bad Habits changed.

Another point I was told was that in the BB app ... the decks names are the same as in CRP ... not vice versa'd.
Can anybody confirm what the new cards are?

Are they a mix of the 13 card CRP Miscellaneous Mayhem Deck and the 18 card CRP Random Events deck? If so Tom mentions 20 cards whilst these two decks would come to 31 cards?

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

stashman

Post by stashman »

Regarding the new special Play cards we are used to value them 50k and 200k.

But why is that the right cost? Cant we see the new rules and rethink old habits.

Ok, the mayhem is better than the events - but there will be more new cards produced and magic seems to be good thou it says may only take one.

And its easy to use both as inducements and the random events as 'draw Special cards' because of the fluff of them being spectator based.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

stashman wrote:But why is that the right cost? Cant we see the new rules and rethink old habits.
That's got nothing to do with "new rules and old habits" - one set of cards was purposely designed to be better than the other, because of the price difference. Just saying "oh, they're new rules" doesn't change the fact that one set of cards is so much better than the other.

On a different matter:

Can someone check DZ1 p.29, specifically on the buying of FF for new teams. Someone on FB has said that, unless you're using one of the optional rules, you have to buy FF for a new team, which would be a change, but not having access to the book myself I can't confirm or refute.
[Edit] Ignore, he's got confused, thinking the question was about whether you have to pay for FF, not whether you have to have it.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
odinsgrandson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by odinsgrandson »

I never used the cards under the CRP. I still have my cards from the '90s Deathzone, though.

I really didn't like the idea of grabbing playing cards and referencing the table to convert them into Blood Bowl cards, so I was pretty happy that they were included in the new game.

In DZ, the cards were valued differently- the restriction was that you could only take one magic item card per game (so it was always your first). Do they have any of that sort of restriction going on here? Or some other way to balance the cards that are of different power levels?

I haven't played with the new cards as of yet, though. We just started a new league (half of us are playing 'legacy' teams).

I don't really mind having different locations for the rules- that's just GW's way of making a game expandable- they do it for all of their games that they support (my 3rd ed stuff was in two books, plus cards for all the star players).

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

odinsgrandson wrote:In DZ, the cards were valued differently- the restriction was that you could only take one magic item card per game (so it was always your first). Do they have any of that sort of restriction going on here? Or some other way to balance the cards that are of different power levels?
Unfortunately, not at this time.

stashman

Post by stashman »

Of the four decks, only Miscellaneous Mayhem is to good to only work as an inducement.

The other 3 are balanced.

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Glamdryn »

stashman wrote:Of the four decks, only Miscellaneous Mayhem is to good to only work as an inducement.

How do you quantify "balanced"?

stashman

Post by stashman »

Glamdryn wrote:
stashman wrote:Of the four decks, only Miscellaneous Mayhem is to good to only work as an inducement.

How do you quantify "balanced"?
The three decks have the same quality

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Re: Grak and Crumbleberry

Post by SunDevil »

Olaf the Stout wrote:From various discussions I've read it seems like James and Andy are really taking a "we know best" approach.

This star player, along with other changes they have made, worry me as I don't feel like they do know what's best (and I'm clearly not alone).
We did an entire episode about this - that feeling that GW has only gotten back into BB in the last two years yet feels good about changing things to the detriment of the game. We, the worldwide BB community, kept the game alive and vibrant for over a decade without GW then they roll in and start changing stuff? It is absolutely that "we know best" approach mentioned above.

We actually got some feedback regarding that episode that worried we weren't giving Andy and James a fair shake. I think they are well-intentioned but adopting this slash-and-burn approach instead of simply making great minis and a nice hardbound LRB6.0 rulebook to sell to an already vibrant community is short-sighted and not in the best interest of the game.

That said, the community will survive and the game will as well. It is just really looking like a massive missed opportunity on GW's part.

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Re: Grak and Crumbleberry

Post by JT-Y »

Okay, I'll bite: What have they changed, I mean, actually changed? What is different between the CRP and BB2016 that is ruining it for you? This is not a chance to complain about optional rules that have been added and can be ignored as you wish, I want an actual list of changes made to the core rules.
And what indicates a slash and burn approach to the game?

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik