Blood Bowl 2016 - the full list of changes

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

AllyRdr
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Blood Bowl - the full list of changes

Post by AllyRdr »

So, if anyone can think of a good reason to change the rules wording other than writer vanity, feel free to share because as far as I can tell we're two days in and the rules have been needlessly changed for the worse in several places.

Reason: ''
@AllyRdr - for occasional inane rubbish
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'm going to be more generous and suggest that they thought they were tiding up the rules, without actually realising the implications of what they were changing (though maybe that's worse?).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

GalakStarscraper wrote: 1) D3 MVP
We tested this extensively in 2008 and 2009 as part of the CRP development. It was rejected by the playtesters. So definitely based on that ... I do not see this as a good change (even with the new rules for how your team resets at a season end).

I see this as great. Many people complain that blood bowl takes to long - and skilling players up takes even longer. So if we want people to choose Blood Bow over X-wing etc, we want coachs to get fun things faster.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Bakunin wrote:
We tested this extensively in 2008 and 2009 as part of the CRP development. It was rejected by the playtesters. So definitely based on that ... I do not see this as a good change (even with the new rules for how your team resets at a season end).

I see this as great. Many people complain that blood bowl takes to long - and skilling players up takes even longer. So if we want people to choose Blood Bow over X-wing etc, we want coachs to get fun things faster.
Gone will be some really great stories about unique linemen. It (to me) was really part of what made the stories that carry on with this game.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
birdman37
Experienced
Experienced

Post by birdman37 »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Bakunin wrote:

Gone will be some really great stories about unique linemen. It (to me) was really part of what made the stories that carry on with this game.
Very much agree. My Orc team featured an absolute hero of a Thrower who had +AG, 2+MA (so basically an Elf) and was an utter ball-handling and running legend as far as Orc teams went. It also featured a steaming piece of crud Goblin that spent most of his time on the bench. The thrower never copped a single MVP in his whole career, every single SPP he earned was done the hard way. The Goblin, meanwhile, scored no less than 6 (yes, SIX) MVP awards. Absolute comedy gold. That kind of story isn't going to happen with the new rules.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

birdman37 wrote:Absolute comedy gold. That kind of story isn't going to happen with the new rules.
+1

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

+2.

I'm a big fan of the random MVP, even though mine always seems to where I don't want it to. Much to easy to mind/max now - gone will be the MVP-hogging zombies.
We're currently running a short league (6 games or so) and even then I wouldn't use this MVP (I went with random player from 6).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Krusader
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Krusader »

I personally don't mind the new MVP rule - it gives you an element of control over where those Points will go, whilst still leaving the ultimate choice down to luck (which to me, feel very BB).

While I did/do like the times that you end up with these funny Linemen through random chance, I think the fact that MVP will/should never go to a player that is Injured to the point of firing/dead, or worse, a Merc you had no interesting in hiring, is great. The random MVP was one thing that turned a few people I know off of league games.

I have a question regarding MVP in the new edition though:

If your opponent concedes the game to you, you get their MVP - does this mean, you pick 3 and award it to 2 players? Or you effectively pick 6 players and award it to 2? I feel like it's the later, but as I will be running a league that is likely to draw in new players for the most part, I want to make sure I am right.

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

Krusader wrote:I personally don't mind the new MVP rule - it gives you an element of control over where those Points will go, whilst still leaving the ultimate choice down to luck (which to me, feel very BB).
luck, between 3 guys though. So Black Orcs or Sauri or Chaos Warriors who are really not easy to skill normally get an easy path without having to achieve anything.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

d6 would have been better, imo. d3 is a little too targeted.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

On Wrestle - do you think it's time to be concerned yet, given that Andy has posted twice on the thread about it on FB, without coming out and saying "yes, that's an error"?

Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

Darkson wrote:On Wrestle - do you think it's time to be concerned yet, given that Andy has posted twice on the thread about it on FB, without coming out and saying "yes, that's an error"?
well, I dont like the potential way it works under the current (incorrect?) wording but lets play what if

Juggernaut would become useful on more player builds all of a sudden I guess?

so far all of the changes they have made have been to nerf skills. Again I dont like the way that wrestle is written but I would have liked if they could have spent some effort bringing up the other less selected (lower tier?) skills (Twelfman will be in with a link to his NAF blog in a moment)

It seems that we've narrowed further the paths of development for players. I was actually excited about using more Grab for pitch control/ getting in position for surfing until it was reset. imagine a full back lead blocking in NFL as an example of how this might apply fluff wise, their blocking angle isnt always straight ahead. Its great to have the game back but I guess I wanted more value added than just league format suggestions because lets be honest, non GW leagues are all going to run in their own ways

Krusader
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Krusader »

Darkson wrote:On Wrestle - do you think it's time to be concerned yet, given that Andy has posted twice on the thread about it on FB, without coming out and saying "yes, that's an error"?
Hey Darkson, any chance you can post a link/screen shot of this? I can't seem to find it on Facebook.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

No need for concern ... same thing on the Passing Ruler as well. Will leave it at that.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'm not sure it is the same thing. I can accept they used an old (wrong) source file for the range ruler, but the Wrestle change looks like a deliberate rewrite, as the source file for Wrestle would have been the one you wrote (seeing as was added to the game later).