Using Commissioned Painting Services or DIY?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Does anyone know Laughing Ferret?

Post by sann0638 »

Practise is the verb, practice is the noun.

If you get it wrong, it's because you haven't practised enough. Or put in enough practice.

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

I use commissioning services. I think they are great.

But my real advice is on the practice/practise question. It's much easier to remember which is which if you substitute the word "advice / advise" practice follows the same rules, but it's much easier to work out since with advice / advise the verb sounds different.

That's my advice! I advised you.

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

sann0638 wrote:Practise is the verb, practice is the noun.
I've never heard of practice being spelled with an "s", so instead of admitting that I might be wrong about it, I'll just assume that it's a british-ism and ignore it.

And consult Allen Iverson! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

I've been painting minis since around 1998 and I'm never gonna be good at it, no matter how hard I try.
I'm to impatient and my expectations are way to high, so practicing rather frustrates me.

It's very temting to use a commission service but when I heard what they charge per mini, I was out of it.
That's money I can't even think about spending on something like that.

Whoever uses them, good for you! As long as you don't claim their work as yours and be honest about having them painted for you.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Regash wrote:Whoever uses them, good for you! As long as you don't claim their work as yours and be honest about having them painted for you.
Agreed 100%.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

rolo wrote:
I've never heard of practice being spelled with an "s", so instead of admitting that I might be wrong about it, I'll just assume that it's a british-ism and ignore it.
[offtopic]
Didn't we invent the language? ;)
[/offtopic]

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Talarius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Talarius »

Sargon wrote:
Talarius wrote:Sargon will get a full refund, so the team will be super-delayed but at least he'll get his team *and* his money back. :-)
FYI - Neither of these things ever happened.
Yeah, that promise was the last email I received from him. I've contacted him at the LF email a couple times since then to try and resolve this issue for Sargon without getting a response. Profoundly disappointed this never got resolved. I never would have expected this from him. :-(

Sargon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sargon »

Regash wrote:Whoever uses them, good for you! As long as you don't claim their work as yours and be honest about having them painted for you.
Everyone comments on my "axia" painted teams and my response is always the same... "I wish I could take credit, but I didn't paint them."

Sargon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sargon »

Talarius wrote:
Sargon wrote:
Talarius wrote:Sargon will get a full refund, so the team will be super-delayed but at least he'll get his team *and* his money back. :-)
FYI - Neither of these things ever happened.
Yeah, that promise was the last email I received from him. I've contacted him at the LF email a couple times since then to try and resolve this issue for Sargon without getting a response. Profoundly disappointed this never got resolved. I never would have expected this from him. :-(
I appreciate your attempts to help out.

Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shushnik »

lunchmoney wrote:
rolo wrote:
[offtopic]
[/offtopic]
Nah. Germans did that. You guys just messed it up.

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Shushnik wrote:
lunchmoney wrote:
rolo wrote: I've never heard of practice being spelled with an "s", so instead of admitting that I might be wrong about it, I'll just assume that it's a british-ism and ignore it.

[offtopic]
[/offtopic]
No, the French messed it all up (well, the Norman-French).

GO STAMPEDERS!
Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

Wifflebat wrote:I paint all my own teams because I feel like it's cheating if I don't do it myself. I feel a greater sense of identification with a team I've painted myself. I also don't feel like I should spend money on something I could do myself. I wish I didn't feel that way because, despite having spent decades doing it, and getting reasonably good at it, I still really don't like painting.

In the amount of time it takes me to paint a Blood Bowl team, I could play dozens of games (of Blood Bowl or something else.) I have probably a decade of backlogged minis to paint for all my games, and yet I feel the need to paint them myself.

Anybody who says they don't like painting and walks away from it in favor of paying somebody has my empathy, my respect, and my blessing.
This sounds like me for the most part.

I'm an ok painter, but so very slow. I generally like painting, especially when something I painted turns out really well. That's offset by those times when the end result doesn't look as good as I had hoped or I bugger up an already painted area on the mini with poor brush control.

I could pay someone else to paint teams for me. However, I don't feel like I should be doing that, even though I've never painted a team to a completed state in my life (lots of partially finished teams, and many completed individual minis, most of which I've given away). Sometimes I wish I didn't feel like that, but I do.

I've played in tournaments with teams painted by other people, but I borrowed those teams just to use for the tournament and gave them back after the tournament was finished.

Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shushnik »

Colin wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
lunchmoney wrote: [offtopic]
[/offtopic]
No, the French messed it all up (well, the Norman-French).
The English explanation for literally every complaint.

DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

My, my, my, what a simple opinion started here. I feel there are some people taking this way too personal. Then let`s see if I can answer everything on a quick note...
You can have a really nice car and get compliments on it without having built that car yourself... maybe a sour engineer might say you shouldn't, but things be things. I like having nice things but certainly don't want to make all those things myself.
Nowadays most products are produced in a fabric through manufacturing lines, with robots and as little human input as possible. There`s no problem with that, but a car, to go with the suggested example, is a product delivered in a finished state. Nobody expects you to modify or color the car yourself. That is a different situation here with models, if they do not come prepainted.

Again, it`s a different situation when boxes come with models in different plastic colors. At this point the only thin expected ist to finish their assemlbling to be able to play.
There are only so many hours in a day, and no one person can be an expert or even vaguely competent in all things. Our world works on an epistemological division of labour... we split up the knowing and the doing among many so that everything can be known and everything can be done, but no one person can cover even a fraction of it.
Yes, there isn`t an endless amount of time. Yet it is possible to focus on one thing. Some users of this forum are the best example for it, focusing mostly on the rules. That can be observed whenever a rule discussion pops up, or new halfofficial teams, like the one from Cyanide pop up.

But I do not expect people, or let`s rather say "the people I play with", since I usually think about situations that occur, to focus onto one special facette of the hobby. Let`s not forget, I am a hobbyist myself and know that there is many things about it, that make it attractive. Yet I see that, with all the models produced, with all the artful painted miniatures o boxcovers, in magazines or on the web, assembling and painting a miniature is a huge part of this hobby. And as people expect me to learn the rules to play the game, I can expect from others to give their best at painting their stuff.

I remember that someone once mentioned "but this is designed as a boardgame, not a miniature game". Well, partly yes, partly no. In this case everybody should use paper stand ins and generical players like "Blitzer 1", "Blitzer 2", and so on. Partly no, because this game simply isn`t produced that way by the manufacturer, who makes his money from selling games and toys.

By the way, you have to explain to me what epistemological means, as I am not a native speaker of the english language.
Why so judgmental?
I am not. Having an opinion and stating it on a forum, a place where discussions are supposed to be held on various issues, is not a court. I`m also not despecting people who don`t paint, I merely think people should not use paintservices as long as they are physically able to paint their miniatures themselves and to always give their best. That`s how one becomes better.

A more raw opinion I have is, that people with less creative energy tend to compensate, and I must sadly say that view is born from personal experiences I made on this forum, throughout an overly serious handling of rulesets and a, what people call in a friendly way, "conservative playstyle".

But again, even though my opinion might not be liked by everyone, it`s still not judgemental. I am not trying to push them into another direction.
Harsh. I've been painting for 20 odd years. I'm still pretty rubbish, and normally achieve 'decent tabletop standard'. It's not because I haven't practiced- I have- I'm just genuinely not very good at it. And I don't mind painting, and like being able to put out a fully (if poorly) painted team that I painted myself.

Not everyone is going to be a great painter, no matter how many hours you put in.
Again, I have an opinion. It must not be liked by anyone, but because someone does not agree, it does not mean it is harsh. I am sorry if you feel my opinion might be directed at you, I am not having any certain individual in mind.

Yet, I don`t know your level of painting nor the way you have tried to paint your models. If you`re an old geezer like me, you probably have a harder time adapting to new techniqes that come with all the new available colors, that make painting easier. If you want to, we can give it another go via Skype. You don`t have to, but on the other hand, if you`re not satisfied with you painting outcome, you have nothing to lose, but a lot to win. A nice view on the gaming board does not just only give you more satisfaction, it is a huge driver for the gameatmosphere. At least from my point ov view.
Most are a combination of them, not everyone is everything. You can enjoy this hobby in plenty of ways, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Yes to all of your comment IF one doesen`t lean into an extreme at any of those points. For example, I would never be able to paint on a Golden Demon leven, due to various factors. But mostly I`d see that almost as an overkill to what is good for the game.
I don't paint because I don't like it, the results are still rubbish (after 20 years of trying), it's a chore.
If I could afford it I'd get everything painted by others.

I also really dislike some within painting "stable" constantly patronising people like myself - "keep going, you'll learn to like it" and "you'll improve the more you do" - yeah, I'll keep painting until I die, maybe I'll produce some decent that I enjoy 5 mins before I snuff it. :roll:
How can you expect to be good at something you don`t like? It simply states you`re lacking the drive to do it. If not, I can make you same offer as to nightwing.

The second statement I already answered to vice versa for the gaming stable.
I paint all my own teams because I feel like it's cheating if I don't do it myself. I feel a greater sense of identification with a team I've painted myself. I also don't feel like I should spend money on something I could do myself. I wish I didn't feel that way because, despite having spent decades doing it, and getting reasonably good at it, I still really don't like painting.

In the amount of time it takes me to paint a Blood Bowl team, I could play dozens of games (of Blood Bowl or something else.) I have probably a decade of backlogged minis to paint for all my games, and yet I feel the need to paint them myself.
That`s an interesting statement. But.....isn`t there always something else that one could do "instead of" where you take time off? I always felt it is good trying to comine everything if possible. For example, I like gaming and I like spending time with my daughter. Naturally we play boardgames together from time to time. We also try to get games where we can play "against the game", since we like each other and do not want to be competitive towards each other.
I for one could stand to lose the occasional dicing, but haven't found the solution just yet...
Yeah, something like Freebooters Fate uses cards for the confrontations, but transferring this to Blood Bowl....well actually....hmmm....
Practise is the verb, practice is the noun.

If you get it wrong, it's because you haven't practised enough. Or put in enough practice.
I don`t know if this pointed at me, but if so, I`ll put this parallel to painting: I`m not a Golden Demon painter, I don`t even think I`m good at it. But there`s eough people that think I do quite well. No tranferring this to the language. I am not a native english speaker, I don`t even....and so on.

Yet it is interesting. I learned most of my english language skills through comicbooks, which tend to have a more "american grammar".
:D What is that supposed to mean? I`m clearly missing something here.

Regash

Post by Regash »

DinoTitanedition wrote:
:D What is that supposed to mean? I`m clearly missing something here.
It just simply means that all english folk always blame the french people if something isn't to their liking.
Just a joke, nothing to worry about. :orc: