Anyone ready to change their anti-GW stance yet?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Anyone ready to change their anti-GW stance yet?

Post by mikeyc222 »

i guess i'm in the minority in that changes like these really don't bother me at all. this game has changed so many times since i started playing it in about 95 that i just choose to roll with what ever may come. it also helps that my league resets after almost every season, so we have never actually had any of these combos that so many people love or hate depending on their perspective.

Reason: ''
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hey Regash - I'm surprised that you, the staunchest defender of 'whatever is official is official', are unhappy with the official rules?!

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

plasmoid wrote:Hey Regash - I'm surprised that you, the staunchest defender of 'whatever is official is official', are unhappy with the official rules?!
I'm still with what I said: Official rules only!
But I never said anyone had to play, no matter what!
IF I play BB, then I play by the official rules.
If I don't like the rules, I'm NOT playing BB. (Or any other kind of game.)

And, let's face it, many of these changes have been in your spirit, so much more reason for me to dislike them. :orc:
sann0638 wrote:Errata coming out on Friday. Let's wait for that (though people won't...)
Seriously? The game isn't even published yet and the rules are already being corrected?
Didn't Andy Hoare say something about "thorough playtesting", "basically the same rules" and "only slight changes" in the new box?
I almost wish, I hadn't preordered...

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Regash wrote:Seriously? The game isn't even published yet and the rules are already being corrected?
Day 1 patch, and day 1 DLC in deathzone ;)

More seriously, my understanding is that some rules which were being playtested were erroneously printed. Admin error rather than anything else. Both the PO and the Claw changes will be addressed in the errata, I am led to believe.

Regash

Post by Regash »

dode74 wrote:Admin error rather than anything else.
Doesn't make it better, does it?
It just became a common thing with computer programs to release any kind of crap and then patch it up.
Will this become a common thing with normal games as well?

I check and double check each and every rule now? Has it been changed? Or changed back again?
Sorry, it just pisses me off to have a rulebook and then a stack of printed pages as well.

And just look at the crap they've written! I'm reffering to Piling On, text posted by you right here.
First paragraph says, PO has led to nasty combos and was therefor removed.
Second paragraph then gives you a nerved version of the skill.
To whom ever that might make sense, I'd be glad for an explanation.
"We removed the huge V8 from our car because it caused to many fatal accidents.
But here it is on the options list, go on and order it!"
Seriously, WTF?!?

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

I agree. It's not great to have day 1 patches and DLC for a printed book! These things happen, though.

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hutchinsfairy »

If they had some ideas for rules changes, playtested them, decided against them and then accidentally included the new versions in the rulebook then that actually makes me feel better!

I would rather think someone made a mistake than someone just didn't think/care. Mistakes can be corrected.

EDIT: Hopefully they'll reprint the rulebook at some point though.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

"Anyone ready to change their anti-GW stance yet?"

:lol: ROFLMAO :lol:

I'm just "piling on" the oh-no's!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Regash

Post by Regash »

hutchinsfairy wrote:Hopefully they'll reprint the rulebook at some point though.
Maybe, if there is a reprint of the boxed set.
But that doesn't help day one buyers.
Reprint and give away fro free? Not gonna happen.
And, honestly, after spending so much money on the game just for support, I'm not gonna spend more money to support their f*ck-up.
Who knows? It might be both books in the end!

DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

A lot of agression due to .....some rulechanges. I sincerely hope, the community as a whole does not go at it in the same way. I often compare BB to AoS and this is the kind of reaction I have expected at the slightest rulechange already, since the veteran players of Warhammer reacted the same way. The game seems to be such a huge part in life, that some people forget, that BB can be enjoyed in many ways.

It sheds an ugly light onto the "mostly players" part of our community.

Then again....taking a look at the AoS community after more than a year, it showed to be a change for the better. Maybe that will happen in BB as well, if new players aren`t chased away at the first look of our ...."exemplary" behaviour....hell, I don`t know....taking a look and the current conversations about this somehow makes me sad.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

One constant for every gamer in every game ever is that we always complain hard about every change in the game. Even minor stuff. Then we actually start playing it, stuff works, and we forget about all the outrage as the changes become the new normal.

Until the next change. Then it's back to doom and gloom, boycotts, threatening to quit.

People complained about 3rd edition, which was a truly major change (in retrospect, almost entirely for the better) to every aspect of the game, drastically greater in scope than the minor tweaks we're griping about now. People complained when the original Death Zone came out. I missed most of the Rules Committee era, but I assume people were whining and crying at every new LRB.

So I don't have a problem with anything I've seen. Is Piling On nerfed a bit? Yeah, pretty hard. Is Grab a bit better? Sure. Does anything I've seen so far fundamentally change the game? Will Humans start dominating leagues with their 60k Catchers? Will Orcs start developing the All-Grab Front Line before taking other skills? Nope.

And I don't even have a problem with releasing Errata. Even on day one. It'll be irritating if they come out with new stuff every week, but I expect more like an update or three right at the very beginning, then a stable ruleset which gets tweaked (with the appropriate amount of sky-is-falling angst) every couple years.

I prefer rules which get changed in response to issues, to static rules which never get touched because whoever's in charge is scared of the inevitable nerd rage which follows. That's how you get well-balanced games. X-wing is for me a great example of a game which isn't scared to experiment with their ruleset, and imo their rules are better for it.
(Also, you can find their rules for free online, they make their money selling the miniatures. HINT HINT) ;)

tl;dr: Gamers always fear change until the changes become the new normal, then they calm the heck down and deal with it. Or maybe cry salty tears and write up a manifesto, I can't speak for everyone.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Kaiowas
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kaiowas »

We live in an age where by and in large the internet gives us what we want when we want. When we dont get our way it can be a shock to the system.

I'm not a fan of how things have changed but will reserve judgement until the errata.

I am ok with the "meta" changing a little to challenge my ability to play the game. Hopefully its not game breaking for some of the rosters but I'm willing to let it play out

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

rolo wrote: tl;dr: Gamers always fear change until the changes become the new normal, then they calm the heck down and deal with it. Or maybe cry salty tears and write up a manifesto, I can't speak for everyone.
Or.... change comes in the way of 4th edition, everybody hates it and it doesn't become the new normal and so others are drafted in to fix it. It doesn't always work the way you're suggesting it does.

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

sann0638 wrote:Errata coming out on Friday. Let's wait for that (though people won't...)

Regash

Post by Regash »

rolo wrote:One constant for every gamer in every game ever is that we always complain hard about every change in the game. Even minor stuff. Then we actually start playing it, stuff works, and we forget about all the outrage as the changes become the new normal.
I played WHFB. Rules changed. I didn't like it. I don't play WHFB anymore.
I played 40K. Rules changed. I didn't like it. I don't play 40K anymore.

If BB goes the same route, so be it.
Luckily, we have a lot of alternatives today, fantasy or scifi tabletops as well as board games.