The job to rewrite the rulebook has been posted

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: The job to rewrite the rulebook has been posted

Post by VoodooMike »

Deus Magi wrote:VoodooMike. "Adorable?" A little patronising, something said to a small child, but I take no issue with it. Thank you for a full well put response. You have a better understanding of law than I, and sorry for your "experience." Clearly not pleasant. I do feel that GW have the right to go after people if they feel affronted, if the courts allow the way they play, then so be it. If someone trod on what I felt were my toes, I'd say, "excuse me." If they continued, then if they fell foul in court, so be it.
I'm just naturally patronizing... ask around. Keep in mind that using the courts to bludgeon people financially with no expectation of winning the actual case, is pure bullying. It's the big boys version of beating someone up because they looked at your girlfriend in a way you didn't like. It's also a deliberate (but common) misuse of the system. If you believe it should be about right and wrong then you shouldn't support people's "right" to do it.

When laws are created, they are created with the idea of creating equality across society... if a law gives one man a right, it gives all men that right, and so on. In practice, they are quickly subverted to do the opposite of that - they end up favouring some people over others, especially people with money. IP rights are the same... the idea of patents was to ensure that inventors would have inalienable rights to their ideas such that large corporations and wealthy individuals couldn't just steal those ideas and screw inventors out of the proceeds because it was felt that would stifle innovation. Good theory! In practice, getting a patent is very expensive, and you lose your rights if you don't vigorously defend them in court... so in reality patent law simply prevents anyone BUT coroporations and wealthy individuals from affording themselves those protections. herp derp!

GW has successfully defended their relevant IP rights in the past - they kicked Cyanide's ass for violating their image copyrights, for example. GW is also a feckless thug that uses threats of lawsuits and occasionally actual lawsuits to invent their own IP rights where none actually exist. Nobody blames them for protecting their real rights, but when they abuse the system to push people around it is understandable that many people think much, much less of them.

PS: don't worry about my personal experiences... I've never been sued (thus far) I've sued other people.. I'm just saying that its a dirty, messy process that's much more about cost/benefit analysis than it is about right and wrong.

Reason: ''
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

VoodooMike wrote:GW has successfully defended their relevant IP rights in the past - they kicked Cyanide's ass for violating their image copyrights, for example. GW is also a feckless thug that uses threats of lawsuits and occasionally actual lawsuits to invent their own IP rights where none actually exist. Nobody blames them for protecting their real rights, but when they abuse the system to push people around it is understandable that many people think much, much less of them.
GW will always have a special place in my heart for developing so many of the games I love. And, having had a chance to get to know a few of the people working there, I have a lot of respect for their game developers. Sadly, though, the lawyers have roosted at GW and are turning a company of hobbyists into a corporate monster.

That's why I said that if GW wants to push people out of the BB space by making great minis at great prices, I'm all for it. But if they decide to do that by levying a bunch of baseless but punitive lawsuits OR by making changes to the rules just to force people to switch away from existing products, I will think less of them and be less likely to support them with my dollars.

Milo

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

lots of poop flinging lately... :( :puke:

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

Heff wrote:
rolo wrote:
Deus Magi wrote:... everyone has the right to represent themselves in court, and leeway is usually given in the understanding that their knowledge of the law is not as full as a paid for professional representative.
People also have the right to perform surgery on themselves when they're sick. I'm not sure which is a dumber idea.
The famous dictum is that the person who chooses to represent themselves in Court is acting for a fool.
I thought it was a person who chooses to represent themselves in court has a fool for a client.

Deus Magi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deus Magi »

Olaf the Stout wrote: I thought it was a person who chooses to represent themselves in court has a fool for a client.
Now you mention it, that is how I've heard it before, but the point still came across clearly to me.
mikeyc222 wrote:lots of poop flinging lately... :( :puke:
I thought it was a pretty good debate, The only raised voice was mine, and that was when the page farted at me deleting all my hard work / replies. There was a bit of bad language at that point I can tell ya! a good debate though, some very fair points raised.

Now, things to do, I'll finish my letter to GW ref ideas for Bloodbowl. I should have done that, rather than writing here, but there you go. No hard feelings my end.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

you could be right. tone is hard to tell in written text, so it seemed a little less like polite debate to me. maybe i'm just too sensitive.

Deus Magi
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deus Magi »

I'm getting more sensitive the older I get. Sometimes I do wonder that if they made life any harder, if anyone would bother!

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
nazgob
Legend
Legend

The job to rewrite the rulebook has been posted

Post by nazgob »

Saw that. I am now excited.

Seven new races though....

More excited, but hoping for balance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Don't think they will be "new" new, just more than the first 6. Could be wrong, I guess.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

I'm inclined to agree about the seven "new" races. The expansions have always included additional races, but third Ed races were not that dissimilar from 2nd. And they races they've mentioned already are ones we already know.

Milo

Jembo17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jembo17 »

Unless someone with better eyesight (on the player cards adjacent to the pitch) can tell me otherwise, it looks like the human catchers have AV7. I guess the 'Cyanide Experiment' either didn't work out or just didn't catch on.

mikeyc222
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mikeyc222 »

yeah, i agree with the "new" races. it says specifically that the boxed set will include orcs and humans, and i don't expect ANY league rules since the DeathZone Season 1 expansion says it includes league rules. i suspect that there will only be human and orc rules with the base set, and the skaven, dwarf, nurgle, elf, and other teams we are used to will be the 7 "new" teams in the season 1 expansion.

Aino
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aino »

Looking better than expected (except for the orc minis and the range ruler :puke: ) especially if the rules do not change "unless broken"...
Now who's going to e the judge on what's broken? :roll:

W

Fighting signature size creep ;)
VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

Aino wrote:Now who's going to e the judge on what's broken? :roll:
Me. They're not. You're welcome!