Blitz Bowl Watch it played video

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

gjnoronh
Experienced
Experienced

Blitz Bowl Watch it played video

Post by gjnoronh »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTTDxZZDhL4

So this came out today. I learned of it courtesy of the Both Down twitter account.
At work so don't have time to watch it but I'm excited.

Our league had a conversation Sunday where our most experienced player opined that the length of Blood Bowl games make it a hard sell to new players. Particularly as once one player has an advantage (score/casualties) it tends to spiral downhill for the other player. Sometimes that's for the next hour or more of being on the down hill side of a loss.

Whether that's correct or not I can see the speed of this being a real draw.

Also I think we just found an option to 'complete' human and orc teams with matching models.

Reason: ''
Genghis
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Blitz Bowl Watch it played video

Post by Genghis »

gjnoronh wrote:Also I think we just found an option to 'complete' human and orc teams with matching models.
Looks like you'd need two boxes to fill out the human and orc teams. Only one Blitzer & Catcher for the humans, and only one Black Orc and Blitzer on the other side.

Will drink beer for food.

The Tragically Hit - Amorical Cup '17 Team Champions
Best Defense - Underworld Cup '16

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

It actually looks really enjoyable, going to speak to a mate and see about picking it up, been a long time since we've played a game of BB (time issues) so a sub one hour game will be cracking.

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
birdman37
Experienced
Experienced

Post by birdman37 »

Article on Warhammer community:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-3/

I'm a little disheartened, though - the article appears to be worded to imply that the game will only be distributed to select stores in USA and Canada. That would be rather disappointing (particularly for those of us in Oz) if that was the case...

Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

Have you checked Barnes and Noble website?

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Despite some similarities, this is not BB... and I can play sevens... BIG PASS.... :|

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

I rather liked the fact that it's not just BB lite but it's own game with it's own tactics and fluff. Chatting to James Hewitt, who designed it, the fluff fits with BB fluff but he didn't go into details.

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

Cool a new Kerrunch.

This looks like a good idea, a nice fun simplified version of the game. Also good for the many BB coaches that have young children.

I didn't see a release date. Anyone see that info?

Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

August 24th according to the Barnes & Noble website.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

I'm intrigued. What I'd really like to see though, is a 4 player board in this format. For use as a teaching tool, it's not bad, but a 4 player game would actually get more attraction/attention at a boardgame night. I might have to bastardize something.

Still not sure if I would rather use this or 7s for teaching. I most likely will buy a copy though.

[EDIT] Just finished watching the Watch It Played video (go Rodney!)

I'm not crazy about the change in Block die results. That's confusing to someone who has played Blood Bowl, but will also prove confusing to someone who wants to move from Blitz Bowl to Blood Bowl.

I ended up pre-ordering it, because I'm a sucker for Blood Bowl stuff. I'll probably have a writeup on my blog at some point. Getting rid of pickup and dodge rolls, probably makes things easier. Also removing kickoff tables and setting everything up again, speeds up play. The same trick that was used in Dreadball as well.

Another plus, is you can reuse all your BB models. Rules for teams not covered, would be easy enough. A White Dwarf article could easily cover Chaos Renegades, Dark Elves, and Underworld Denizens. The odd thing though...Goblins. I only saw a card for a Goblin Lineman. I'm guessing so you can add a Goblin to the Orc team? I can't imagine anyone wanting to go Full Gobbo without some Special Weapons!?

birdman37
Experienced
Experienced

Post by birdman37 »

faust_33 wrote:The odd thing though...Goblins. I only saw a card for a Goblin Lineman. I'm guessing so you can add a Goblin to the Orc team? I can't imagine anyone wanting to go Full Gobbo without some Special Weapons!?
Look more carefully at the Goblin card - it specifies "8" in the quantity allowed section of the player card. So where other teams are limited to 6 players total, going Full Gobbo means you can swarm the pitch!

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

birdman37 wrote:
faust_33 wrote:The odd thing though...Goblins. I only saw a card for a Goblin Lineman. I'm guessing so you can add a Goblin to the Orc team? I can't imagine anyone wanting to go Full Gobbo without some Special Weapons!?
Look more carefully at the Goblin card - it specifies "8" in the quantity allowed section of the player card. So where other teams are limited to 6 players total, going Full Gobbo means you can swarm the pitch!
Verrrrrrrry interesting! :D

birdman37
Experienced
Experienced

Post by birdman37 »

Stout Youngblood wrote:Have you checked Barnes and Noble website?
Finally bit the bullet, decided to cop the shipping fee, and tried ordering online from barnesandnoble.com. No joy - error at checkout telling me the item cannot be shipped to the delivery address specified (Australia).

EDIT: Looks like the issue was with PayPal. Paid with Credit Card instead, and I now have a package on the way (hopefully)!

gjnoronh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gjnoronh »

Picked it up this weekend. Have tried third Barnes and Nobles over the last three weeks, third one did the trick. I'd recommend calling before stopping in if you are looking for it. The one that had it was a collegetown based Barnes and Nobles the other two said they didn't think it was released yet (this was September 8th or so when I was asking) or just didn't think they were going to be able to get it from their distributor.

We played 2 games, me vs my 7 year old and my 7 year old vs my wife.

We really enjoyed it. Blood Bowl tactics figured in (ball stuck in a scrum and how to get it free to pick up) without the rules density of Blood Bowl. It's not Blood Bowl but maybe a highly Blood Bowl influenced board game.

My wife and son were able to play with me providing intermittent rules guidance - but I was able to mostly just work on the computer while they were playing. My wife has never once played Blood Bowl or had any interest but was willing to try this out. She also walked away intrigued about how other teams would work (my son owns a Chaos team and my daughter Amazons) so that's a good sign.

Our first two games went quite fast much less time then a single game of Blood Bowl and with two experienced adult gamers I think would go even faster.

The card based scoring is quite interesting and keeps it from being Blood Bowl light. The lack of rules density meant my non wargaming wife and son were able to grasp it pretty quickly without me doing much hand holding. It's really it's own thing and quite enjoyable. Highly recommend picking it up if you can.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Got this imported for Christmas - good fun! Will bring it along to various BB tournaments (UKTC, Welsh, NAFC, Cake...)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler