I don't like the handicap system

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

roysorlie
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by roysorlie »

Darkson, That wouldn't work. Just more meat to punch around. Also, it gives the team too many rerolls.

We are going for the EXP system, which makes it far better for low TR teams. They are supposed to lose, but evolve quickly, so that don't stay underdog. And no team has played more than 6 matches. So making everyone begin anew isn't a too hot idea.

But even when I have only 40 more TR, I win 8-0 against an experienced coach. All he gained was a cas or two, a few comps and an MVP. The benefit for the high TR team is too great.

But I still think the Handicap table sucks. It's worthless. And I miss a few special cards, like healing scroll, Magic helmet, number one with a bullet. etc. I also belive that even the high TR team should get one roll, just for the random chance it induces. I like a little random.

I would like to see two tables, 1 magic/dirty trick and 1 Random event.
Also a inter match event table. I like the fluff. Give me more fluff.

Reason: ''
Roy

Norwegian National Tournament Organizer.

Coachname [url=http://fumbbl.com/~SnakeEyes]SnakeEyes[/url] on [url=http://fumbbl.com/]fumbbl.com[/url]
NAF member 187
Munkey
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Munkey »

Even with some reasonable TR differences our league has only seen one game with a 7-1 score line as the biggest thrashing anyone has recieved. I would be surprised if the coach of the team losing 8-0 had much luck with the dice rolls. I've never found being down by 30-40 TR to be that big a handicap, especially when you consider the amount of wasted TR (players on 5 SPPs for example).

I agree that its not much fun losing all the time but I don't think the handicap system is supposed to completely level the playing field, just stop the game being a complete whitewash.

That said I do think the handicap table has some terrible results on it at the moment and would like to experiment with the alternative tables available. Also I think that if you would prefer the cards and have them available then why not play them as a house rule, as i understood it the reason they were removed was because GW had lost the file to print them from not because they had a problem with them per se.

As much as I disagree with extra MVPs for the underdog for various reasons I do think that the EXP system adresses many of the problems by allowing rookie teams to develop faster catch up with experienced teams.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
Big Ahn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Big Ahn »

Aren't you all missing something? Isnt that the whole point of playing in a league, so your team gets better, your players get more skilled and overall you are harder to beat. What is the point in playing if a TR100 team can stand up to a TR200 team everytime. The fact that they can't proves to me that the system works, and long may it remain so.

I.E. If a brand new team of football players joined the premier league would you expect them to beat Arsenal or Man Utd?

roysorlie
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by roysorlie »

Big Ahn wrote:Aren't you all missing something? Isnt that the whole point of playing in a league, so your team gets better, your players get more skilled and overall you are harder to beat. What is the point in playing if a TR100 team can stand up to a TR200 team everytime. The fact that they can't proves to me that the system works, and long may it remain so.

I.E. If a brand new team of football players joined the premier league would you expect them to beat Arsenal or Man Utd?
Well. of course a TR 100 should lose playing against a TR 200. But you see, If a brand new team of players faced off arsenal, they would just lose. Half the team wouldn't need to be flown off to a hospital, and you wouldn't need a mourge to take care of the two three unlucky players that never actually survived that match. If these were the conditions, don't think they would play arsenal.

Now, if this new football team, brought with them Mike tyson, Jet Li, and a few guys with daggers. That might even it out. See my point.

Earlier, you could stack up on Dirty tricks, and other stuff. Just to give your team a fighting chance. Now, you have everything to lose, and nothing to win.

You aren't supposed to win. But why even bother playing, when there isn't anything in it for you, while the experienced team has every possible excuse for wanting to play?

We want't to encourage new teams, not put them off playing.
Even with some reasonable TR differences our league has only seen one game with a 7-1 score line as the biggest thrashing anyone has recieved. I would be surprised if the coach of the team losing 8-0 had much luck with the dice rolls. I've never found being down by 30-40 TR to be that big a handicap, especially when you consider the amount of wasted TR (players on 5 SPPs for example).
Oh I'm not saying i didn't get lucky. I did. Not amazingly lucky, but a little. My opponent rolled about average. Point is, he was down a few players from his previous match, having been trashed by a team with 40 or more TR. I had the easiest time ever. I outnumbered him, he didn't have developed player to handle the ball, and it was so easy just pickig off the ball carrier, and pitching it downfield.

There is such an immense difference in what your team can accomplish with a few increases. A few players with block. A dirty player and a little tactic on offense.

It was a walk in the park.

Now that would all be fine, if the lower TR team had something to gain from the match. Otherwise, it's just boosting my team. No benefit to him.

We are going for the EXP system, to even things out.

Roy

Norwegian National Tournament Organizer.

Coachname [url=http://fumbbl.com/~SnakeEyes]SnakeEyes[/url] on [url=http://fumbbl.com/]fumbbl.com[/url]
NAF member 187
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Well, the Houstan Texans did a pretty good job on the Dallas Cowboys this year. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just saying a new coach should be able to catch up at some point, and extra MVP's went a long way to making these games more palatable for someone joining a league midstream.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]