What race are Southstorm Squids?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: What race are Southstorm Squids?

Post by spubbbba »

garion wrote: To be honest they were probably written as a joke squid team and then pomptly killed off in third edition so they didnt have to explain.
This sounds like the most likely answer to me, they probably were squids.
I’m sure there were plenty of joke teams in the 2nd edition books that were invented solely to fit the punch line of a gag in one of those “did you knows?”.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

garion wrote:they were probably written as a joke squid team and then promptly forgotten by everyone bar a few obsessive compulsive types
Fixed for you :)

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

:lol: Funny because its true :oops:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I remember sending JJ a list of missing team races, along with a list asking about the missing winners of the various majors. :oops:
His reply was he didn't know.

Can't honestly remember if the Squids were on that list or not.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Da Crusha
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Da Crusha »

they sound like dark elves to me. from playing a lot warhammer I know that dark elf models have an ongoing squid theme.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... 73x627.jpg

banner
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... 73x627.jpg

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Cus ... 45x319.jpg

garion

Post by garion »

They cant be Dark Elves. the team fluff says they only play in rain. Dark Elves i the same rules hate rain.

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

garion wrote:They cant be Dark Elves. the team fluff says they only play in rain. Dark Elves i the same rules hate rain.
Maybe their just REALLY perverse Dark Elves! :)

There are major differences between the races then and the races now so then they may well have been squidmen but if I was doing them now i'd use Dark Elves. Are they mentioned in any of the first ed stuff or is it just second ed?

Da Crusha
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Da Crusha »

Corvidius wrote:
garion wrote:They cant be Dark Elves. the team fluff says they only play in rain. Dark Elves i the same rules hate rain.
Maybe their just REALLY perverse Dark Elves! :)
+1 :lol: that is the most logical explanation.

the writers of the fluff went into detail about how a DE team hates rain and then go and write about the Southstorm Squids who seem to be of elven origin, that only plays in rain. and then never even mention rain in other teams fluff, then they must have written it as a joke for people to assume that the team is comprised of dark elves.

Disclaimer: I don't have the book and can only assume what is written in it.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I remember Daerk Elfs hated the sun but I don't recall them hating the rain.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Darkson wrote:I remember Daerk Elfs hated the sun but I don't recall them hating the rain.
Yeah, are you sure that wasn’t the good elves Garion? I could see them not liking the rain as it would mess up their hair and uniforms and they were a right bunch of primadonnas in the 2nd edition book.

As far as I’m aware in both the fantasy and BB fluff the Dark Elf homeland has always been a pretty grim and miserable place. So I doubt rain would worry them seeing as they’ve always been quite a naval race too.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Dark Elves in second edition generally all played underground so it's not likely they would only play in the rain :)

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

spubbbba wrote:
Darkson wrote:I remember Daerk Elfs hated the sun but I don't recall them hating the rain.
Yeah, are you sure that wasn’t the good elves Garion? I could see them not liking the rain as it would mess up their hair and uniforms and they were a right bunch of primadonnas in the 2nd edition book.
(...)
Just checked on the 2nd edition "Blood Bowl - Star Players".

Page 20, they say that 9 Avenger's players (elves) refused to play in the rain against "The Hobgoblin Team" (sic).

Page 23, there is "The Sun Table": on sunny or very sunny days the Dark Elves got -1 or -2 to their rolls on the Throwing Table.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Pulled out my 2nd ed stuff, and I think Spubba is correct - you've got yor Elfs and Dark Elfs confused. A Elf team (the Avengers) refused to play in the rain. Dark Elfs will play outside, but prefer night games.

(Edit - can't type that fast on my phone! Lol)

garion

Post by garion »

Even so, my money is still on them being a joke Squid team, their record is very poor.. And the only time they got to a final they cheated their way there and cheated in the final before the game was eventually awarded to the M - Marauders.

Their mage does sound elven though, but its not really a dark elf name, its more a normal elf or possibly a sea elf which i still think is possible.

But my money is on them being a squid team. Its the way things were back then, full of crazyness :)

BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

I would say plus one to the above. There were other teams and races in the fluff not covered in the rules back then.
As Garion says it was "full of crazyness".

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"