Should CDs have been given Mutation access?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Should CDs have been given Mutation access?

Yes
62%
No
25%
Pie!
1%
I just like clicking stuff
12%

Total votes: 77

JaM
Legend
Legend

Re: Should CDs have been given Mutation access?

Post by JaM »

Dammit, wanted to click the 'pie' option... :wink:

Guess I like clicking stuff way too much.

click here

Reason: ''
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Dont have the book right in front of me but got what I originally wrote for the last version of the background (so may have changed slightly here and there)

It is not only man that can be corrupted and twisted by the taint of chaos. A long time ago in the distant past some Dwarfs moved northwards into the Great Skull Lands and then south along the Mountains of Mourn. These explorers were undoubtedly the ancestors of the Chaos Dwarfs. The great influx of Chaos has since worked terrifying changes on their bodies and souls, turning them into evil, self-centered creatures. In one way, however, they haven't changed at all – Chaos Dwarfs still love playing Blood Bowl.

Basically when the lore was brought upto date it was decided to move the CD's back toward the 2nd edition CD's that were basically just mutated dwarves that worshipped chaos, however we kept them with the Hashut lore and appearance that appeared in 3rd edition to appease both camps of CD fluff nuts. The vast majority of BB fluffers preferred the 2nd edition look, feel and style of Blood Bowl and so a lot of the WHFB links that got introduced were reverted or moved towards the 2nd edition (IE Stormvermin and Dragon Warriors moving back to positional names).

BB is NOT WHFB, two very different worlds. This is from my old FAQ from the Lore of NUffle:

Q) So what world is Blood Bowl based in? Warhammer, 40k, earth?
A) Well, contrary to popular belief none of the above. Blood Bowl exists in it's own alternative Warhammer Fantasy universe, one where chainsaws, grenades and Chaos can find themselves welcomed into the middle of Altdorf. And that's straight from Jervis's mouth.

Note that it's alternative, not parralel so they didn't diverge from one point but they're completely seperate entities.

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Ithilkir wrote:Dont have the book right in front of me but got what I originally wrote for the last version of the background (so may have changed slightly here and there)

It is not only man that can be corrupted and twisted by the taint of chaos. A long time ago in the distant past some Dwarfs moved northwards into the Great Skull Lands and then south along the Mountains of Mourn. These explorers were undoubtedly the ancestors of the Chaos Dwarfs. The great influx of Chaos has since worked terrifying changes on their bodies and souls, turning them into evil, self-centered creatures. In one way, however, they haven't changed at all – Chaos Dwarfs still love playing Blood Bowl.

Basically when the lore was brought upto date it was decided to move the CD's back toward the 2nd edition CD's that were basically just mutated dwarves that worshipped chaos, however we kept them with the Hashut lore and appearance that appeared in 3rd edition to appease both camps of CD fluff nuts. The vast majority of BB fluffers preferred the 2nd edition look, feel and style of Blood Bowl and so a lot of the WHFB links that got introduced were reverted or moved towards the 2nd edition (IE Stormvermin and Dragon Warriors moving back to positional names).

BB is NOT WHFB, two very different worlds. This is from my old FAQ from the Lore of NUffle:

Q) So what world is Blood Bowl based in? Warhammer, 40k, earth?
A) Well, contrary to popular belief none of the above. Blood Bowl exists in it's own alternative Warhammer Fantasy universe, one where chainsaws, grenades and Chaos can find themselves welcomed into the middle of Altdorf. And that's straight from Jervis's mouth.

Note that it's alternative, not parralel so they didn't diverge from one point but they're completely seperate entities.
Thanks for explanation!
May you explain why the Chaos mutations are not random, please? From a fluff perspective sounds so wrong and illogical.

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Ideally they would be, but for game balance reasons they're not, however by all accounts house rule them in, just make sure you include teleportation and temporal instability *POP*

Seriously though, please note that I didn't do anything for the current rules I just wrote some of the fluff so my reasons for them not being random are entirely my opinion, not fact.

Cheers,
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Ithilkir wrote:Ideally they would be, but for game balance reasons they're not, however by all accounts house rule them in, just make sure you include teleportation and temporal instability *POP*

Seriously though, please note that I didn't do anything for the current rules I just wrote some of the fluff so my reasons for them not being random are entirely my opinion, not fact.
Thanks for your response, but honestly, for Chaos Dwarfs, the balance reason explanation seems not to fit.
They are good enough even without Claw.
A different world that clearly takes a lot of inspiration from WHFB, a huge imagination effort by JJ :), well done. He didn't even bother to change Chaos god names, no wonder that people is confused!

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

MattDakka wrote:They are good enough even without Claw.
Really? Where's the data?

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

dode74 wrote:
Really.
Just play with them/against them for a while, you'll see.
One of the CRP easy-mode teams in a perpetual league.
No wonder they are one of the most popular in BlackBox.

Wanchor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wanchor »

MattDakka wrote:No wonder they are one of the most popular in BlackBox.
Because they get Claw in reasonably large numbers, but less than Nurgle or Chaos? I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread anymore.

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

Completely OT: Ithilkir ... man where do you come from ? :o :o

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Fife, Scotland according to his profile. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

MattDakka wrote:
dode74 wrote:
Really.
Just play with them/against them for a while, you'll see.
One of the CRP easy-mode teams in a perpetual league.
No wonder they are one of the most popular in BlackBox.
Experience != stats. Data is what I asked for, not your humble opinion ;)

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Darkson wrote:Fife, Scotland according to his profile. ;)
Alternatively I lurk in the dark halls of TBB .. err. TFF waiting to post something when needed ;) I'll jump out the dark corners post in a thread then dissapear again for a few months :P

Cheers,
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

dode74 wrote: Experience != stats. Data is what I asked for, not your humble opinion ;)
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blackbox
Does BlackBox Win Rating measure the actual win rate of teams? Or is it just a CR average of coaches playing that kind of race?
Chaos Dwarfs have BWR 154.46, Wood Elves (the best overall, if I didn't check it wrong) 156.98.
Chaos Dwarfs have one of the highest BWR.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

I've no idea how BWR is calculated, but I see that CDs are below skaven, amazons, WE and pact. Seems to be that they're not that high even with claw access. How low would you like them to be?

I'm ignoring the fling score which puts them second ;)

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

dode74 wrote:I've no idea how BWR is calculated, but I see that CDs are below skaven, amazons, WE and pact. Seems to be that they're not that high even with claw access. How low would you like them to be?
I guess that BWR is an average of BWR of all the coaches playing a specified race.
BWR 150 is the starting CR for BlackBox, wins increase it, losses decrease it.
They have to be a tier 1 team, obviously, but my point was that they are a strong team and Claw is an overkill. We should have data for no-Claw Chaos Dwarfs as well, in order to compare the BWR, but this is impossible.