I miss...

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Re: I miss...

Post by nazgob »

Really? In my book there were few things worse than that snake eyes on the aging roll following the first skill.

Although the +Str followed by the -Str on aging was hilarious!

Reason: ''
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

+Ag on a skaven thrower followed by that - Ag also was

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I think the issue with ageing was that it kicked in too quickly, but was also not severe enough at the end.. it should have been tied to games played, not SPPs. Obviously that is another difficult metric for league commishs to track, but if the aging roll was made for every 20 games played, with ageing guaranteed to set in after 80 games and guaranteed to permanently cap your career at 400 games (*cough* Brett Favre *cough*) it would have been better IMHO...

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Norse wrote:it should have been tied to games played, not SPPs.
(Where's the applause smiley when you need it?)
I'll have to go with... :D

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Norse wrote:it should have been tied to games played, not SPPs.
The best version of this that I saw was Phil Bowen's Experience SPP category.

You added a column for each player on the roster before SPPs for Experience (like you have one for TD/CAS/Comp/Int/MVP ... add EXP).

A player starts as a rookie with 0 Experience (EXP).

At the end of each game a player rolls a D6. If they roll higher than their EXP number they gain one EXP point. A gained EXP point was also worth 1 SPP.

Once a player reached 6 EXP ... once they rolled a 1 then rolled 2d6 on an Aging chart that was something like:
2-6 - Miss Next Game
7-8 - Niggling Injury
9 - -1 AV
10 - -1 MA
11 - -1 AG
12 - -1 ST

What it did was insure that no one aged until they had at least one skill and got to play with it for at least one game. It also meant that the average player didn't start to roll for aging until played about 21 games.

I actually like this system. It died on an altar of being considered too complex and was too much dice rolling and still being a system that could "kill" players off the pitch.

However if I was going to look at the greater BB universe and consider leagues like FUMBBL as part of it which Jervis forbid us to do. I think it would have made a lot of sense to have a filter system like this in place.

I'd kinda forgot about this system until Ramsay posted ... it was a good system that deserved more of a test run than it got. The BBRC did test it ... in fact we even programmed the PBeM program so that it could use EXP rosters ... just didn't make it to reality.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I wasn't aware of it - very interesting...

for a mad sculptor, Phil certainly came up with some nuggets of gold... :wink:

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

So, just curious, did the player roll everytime they got 1 exp after 6? (assuming they needed to roll 1 each time)?

GO STAMPEDERS!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Colin wrote:So, just curious, did the player roll everytime they got 1 exp after 6? (assuming they needed to roll 1 each time)?
No ... once you reached 6 EXP you stopped earning EXP.

So before a player reaches 6 EXP, that player rolls at the end of each game to see if they gain an EXP.

Once they reach 6 EXP, the player rolls at the end of the game to see if they roll a 1 and have to make an aging roll. Rolls of 2-6 means nothing happens for the aging roll at the end of the game.

So with the EXP system, you make a EXP/AGE roll for every player that was elgible to play the game at the end of the game.

Tom

TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

I miss playing tourneys...

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Used Phil's system in the LPL - worked well.

Complicated - what a f*$king joke (and this isn't a dig at Tom, as I know it's JJ that thought this). Firstly, SGs were meant for vet gamers - those that had seen and done it all before. Secondly, it is still a simpler system that stuff in the current 40K/WFB. If it wanted us to use Log tables and slide rules I could accept that argument, but...
As for the "to many dice rolls" argument - yeah, cos we all hate rolling dice in a dice-based game... :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Darkson wrote: (and this isn't a dig at Tom, as I know it's JJ that thought this).
As Simon knows I fought for the EXP system during the Vault but was eventually shot down by JJ and the "too many dice rolls" crowd. Sigh.

Tom

Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

I miss magic helmet. The one that I never, ever, EVER, drew. This despite always making a magic item one of my 1-3 cards. I also miss having friends I could sit down next to and talk about bloodbowl over a few beers.

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

@ Darkson.

There is a thing of too many dice rolls. I like BB for having enough.

Look at old and new 40k

1. roll to hit (old was modified)
2. roll to wound (simple equation '=' is 50%(4+) and 1 up or 1 down adds +/-1 up to a min/max of 1 or a 6 with the exception of 'too tough')
3. roll armour save (old was modified)

Old was brutal because you could get bonuses and up you chances and the armour degraded. No 'super' 3+ armour requiring AP3 armour busters.

The new game has increased dice rolling. I admit that the old WH40RT needed some tweaks in vehicles and dreadnoughts (i have made a few) and the new roles is far to easy.

1. Hit
2. does it pentrate
3. Glacing = 6+ boom and pentrating = 5+ boom (big stuff makes a 4+ boom if it pentrates).

Armour 10 is doomed to hail of rifles. S4+D6 = 1/6 getting a 10 and a glancing hit. Throw enough 6s and the vehicle goes boom when you throw another 6.

Simple logic in the new 40k is that it is a dice game and the more dice you can throw the better chance you have to kill the enemy. The only reason to get into close combat is to roll more dice.

BB combat is simple:

1. Hit (x dice)
2. does the bastard fall over!
3. Yup... AV
4. look up injury result.

Shaping probability is more in BB than other GW games, this is what makes it interesting.

I miss the simple 'insurance' apoth. 2+ at the end of the game a player is saved. IMO this would help the game as too many Line guys are being left for dead/injured in fear of another player biting the bullet. Also this favours the high AV guys because they realitively have little cas and in some instance replacements are cheaper.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Really? Another one that thinks a whole 16 dice at the most at the end of the game is to much? :roll:
Sheesh - it''s a wonder you play dice games...

I'd rather through a few more dice than have a defective system.

TheDoc
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TheDoc »

The aging system was definitely broken and I don't miss it. The experience idea is interesting and no it doesn't sound like too many dice rolls.

I miss not being able to have Zug on my team all the time.