If only they hadn't released Von Drakenborg....

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Mestari wrote:Let's hope so. However, it could be that we get only one shot at officially fixing the team, so I'd rather have them to be more handicapped, just to be on the safe side.
Tell you what Mestari we could both create a two teams with starting cash of 1,250,000, you take COFAB Vamps and we could see what you think if you want to try a PBeM match with them (I'll set up the game and rosters for us). I say 1,250 because that way you could start with 4 Vampires and the Lord. I'll use any of the official 15 teams (not including the Stunties), you can pick or if you don't care I'll take Orcs.

This would allow you to try the team yourself against someone who thinks it already is okay. If you have the ability to test the team against a real life opponent in your area, give it a try. What I'm trying to say is the playtesting so far say they are okay, and you are still speaking in theoritics. I'd be more interested in your opinion after seeing the rules in action.

Galak

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Mestari wrote:Now that I think of it... the fact that Khemri are so powerful could indeed be an attempt to sell those freshly released figs better.
Sorry I just need to head off this conspiracy theory. The person to ultimately blame for the Khemri team is Elvis Lancaster. His article about the Khemri team was originally published in Citadel Journal #37 way back in 2000.
http://www.midgardbb.com/BBMagArticles/FreshGrave.html

That team was lifted stat wise VERBATIM into Blood Bowl Magazine #1. The team was then just tweaked to try to take care of the overly powerful Tomb Guardians in the newest edition and the price of the Mummies was increased.

This is not a conspiracy. If you want to becry the Khemri team, then find Elvis's email address somehow and send him your complaints. The Khemri started as a fan idea and haven't changed much since the original suggestion.

Galak

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

So they're basing an official team on a fans suggestion? Did it have sufficient play-testing at any level, or did they just assume Mr. Lancaster had done it?

Maybe I ought to finish of the Spyrer team draft :lol:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Darkson wrote:So they're basing an official team on a fans suggestion? Did it have sufficient play-testing at any level, or did they just assume Mr. Lancaster had done it?
Actually Darkson, in BB Mag #1, the Snotling, Bretonnian, and Khemri teams all came from fans articles in the Citadel Journal. JJ said and I can find the quote if I have to in an on-line Chat session (the recorded details on my site) that they NEVER tested these 3 rosters. They looked good and balanced to him so they included them in BB Mag #1 .... the rest is history.

So yah, work on that Spyrer team .... although I hope the Half-Orc and Slann teams are in line ahead of you at the end of the day ... :D

Galak

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Isn't this a dangerous precedent to set though, the "roster looked balanced so we ran with it"? Admittedly, I'm sure these guys have learned to see the "power level" of the teams they receive, but surely 1 or 2 "sleepers" can get through, teams that look OK but are flawed.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Dragoonkin
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dragoonkin »

I want the robot team off Galak's site. :D

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Dragoonkin wrote:I want the robot team off Galak's site. :D
Dragoonkin ... that's one REALLY tough team to coach under the LRB rules. In fact right now no one in either the WBBL, MBBL2, or WBBJ-L (which all allow the Robot team) has a coach playing the Robot team.

Anyone who looks at that roster sees only the "abuse" possibilities... trust me get your local commish to allow the team and then decide how broken it is.

That team is one of the very very very few teams that Zombie and I "worked" on "together" to create. Zombie created most of the rules and then I refined them based on some league testing.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Darkson wrote:Isn't this a dangerous precedent to set though, the "roster looked balanced so we ran with it.
AND THIS is why we now have the BBRC. JJ and his bathtub just proved a very dangerous way to create rules and teams for Blood Bowl.

I have to be honest the last roster that JJ made or included into the rules that I like is the Amazon roster in BB Mag #1. All the other new rosters from BB Mag #1 to present I've had some major problems with .... in case anyone has forgotten which teams that would include Brettonian, Snotling, 4 Daemons, Khemri, Necromantic, and Vampire.

I have my opinions on balanced version of all of these rosters that would actually work. I like the Snotling and Daemon teams used in the MBBL2 (I've seen a sneak peak of a BBRC Snotling team that I liked as well). I like the MBBL Necromantic and Vampire teams. The Khemri ... well ME I'd like to see the Blitz-Ra and the Thro-Ras have AG 2 ... then I'd be happy with the Khemri team as well.

Galak

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Any more sneak previews you'd like to let us in on?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Darkson wrote:Any more sneak previews you'd like to let us in on?
Not yet

Galak

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

GalakStarscraper wrote:That team is one of the very very very few teams that Zombie and I "worked" on "together" to create. Zombie created most of the rules and then I refined them based on some league testing.
Give credit where credit is due. The base idea was from someone else. Then Bevan and i worked together to bring it down to acceptable standard, trying to keep it still interesting (and adding new concepts along the way). All of the changes you made after that were to bring the team back up after we brought it down, so of course i don't agree with them.

But i just wanted to say that i didn't do that much work on it. I'm only a small part of the equation.

Oh, and to be fair, since i'm bashing your modifications, here's my analysis of the situation:

Code: Select all

Starting team:

Qty  Position          MA ST AG AV  Skills  Cost  Access
 1   Blocker            5  4  3  9  Dodge   120k  G,S,A
 1   Defensive thrower  5  3  4  9  Pass    110k  G,P,A
 3   Catcher            7  2  4  9  None    300k  G,A
 3   Lineman            5  3  1  9  None    150k  G
 4   Cheap labor        5  3  1  6  None     80k  G
 9 FF 90k
 3 RR 150k
Total cost 1000k

Dream team:

Qty  Position          MA ST AG AV  Skills   Cost  Access     ST AG mod
 1   Blocker            8  5  1  9  No arms  130k  G,S         3  0  9
 1   Blocker            6  5  1  9  Dodge    125k  G,S,A       3  0  9
 1   Blocker            5  4  3  9  Dodge    120k  G,S,A       2  2  9
 1   Offensive thrower  7  2  4  8  Pass     105k  G,P,A       0  3  9
 1   Defensive thrower  5  3  4  9  Pass     110k  G,P,A       1  3  9
 2   Runner             6  4  3  8  Catch    240k  G,S,A       4  4  9
 2   Blitzer            6  3  4  8  Block    240k  G,S,A       2  6  9
 4   Catcher            7  2  4  9  None     400k  G,A         0 12  9
 3   Reserve            8  2  1  9  No arms  210k  G           0  0  6
Total                                       1680k             15 30

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

All of the changes you made after that were to bring the team back up after we brought it down, so of course i don't agree with them.
Funny, if the Locker Room had a search engine I'd pull up the quote where you said just the exact opposite a little over a 1 year ago.
Oh, and to be fair, since i'm bashing your modifications, here's my analysis of the situation:
What followed was Zombie listing a wonderful dream team that is impossible to build under the LRB cash tables.

Galak

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I think if Zombie wants to prove his bashing, he should use the one legal robot team in a league and tell us how it did. Or better yet get another coach to play it.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

GalakStarscraper wrote: What I'm trying to say is the playtesting so far say they are okay, and you are still speaking in theoritics. I'd be more interested in your opinion after seeing the rules in action.
Even though I could argue about the amount of playtesting done (and talk about Pariah's disagreement of the playtesting results), I have to admit that this is a valid point. I have a big exam on friday, but I'll download the pbem tool next weekend and see if I can get the hang of it... I'll get back to you on that.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Mestari wrote:Even though I could argue about the amount of playtesting done (and talk about Pariah's disagreement of the playtesting results), I have to admit that this is a valid point. I have a big exam on friday, but I'll download the pbem tool next weekend and see if I can get the hang of it... I'll get back to you on that.
Very cool, if you get the PBeM on your machine let me know and we'll give it a run ... and just for the record ... Pariah's negative comments were about the Old World team not the Vampire team. No negative comments have been given to date from folks that have played with the COFAB rules.

Galak