If only they hadn't released Von Drakenborg....

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I've completely lost track of what version of the PBeM tool I'm using. I downloaded the one that Spyke sent out the link to in one of the Little league posts. Is that the latest?

Don't want to switch versions in the middle of a game. I had to finish off a game I had been playing against Woody myself (only the last couple of turns and I'd already won it) because he couldn't open the .bbm file with his version of the tool.

Reason: ''
I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

GalakStarscraper wrote:What followed was Zombie listing a wonderful dream team that is impossible to build under the LRB cash tables.
It's far from impossible. You said that the current system tops teams at about 300 TR. 1680k in player cost fits right into that. If you want to make it take less time to reach, change the 3 reserves to 5 2 1 7 20k. That will bring down the total player cost to 1530k. A complete wood elf team costs 1380k and i'm pretty sure that a chaos pact team costs even more. It's far from unreachable.

Besides, most of the players in my dream team have AV9, so it's not like you're going to lose a lot of players through attrition. And with access to general, agility and strength, you could have more than half of your team with block, dodge, guard, which will make them live even longer.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Thadrin wrote:I've completely lost track of what version of the PBeM tool I'm using. I downloaded the one that Spyke sent out the link to in one of the Little league posts. Is that the latest?

Don't want to switch versions in the middle of a game. I had to finish off a game I had been playing against Woody myself (only the last couple of turns and I'd already won it) because he couldn't open the .bbm file with his version of the tool.
I'm curious as to why you "had" to finish a 6-7 week old friendly that was essentially an experimental shakedown for the Spiky Tourney, and was so one sided luck-wise that it had ceased to provide any playtest value by H-T anyway.
Did you score again? Way to go dude, give yourself a pat on the back. :roll:

The current version of the tool is 2.3betaD. It's Pub League compatable, but won't run older files. Finish any games you have in progress and grab it from Tom's site. A lot more is automated (K-Offs)and it's really rather flash!

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Deathwing wrote: I'm curious as to why you "had" to finish a 6-7 week old friendly that was essentially an experimental shakedown for the Spiky Tourney, and was so one sided luck-wise that it had ceased to provide any playtest value by H-T anyway.
Team development. I want to run that team through several games as I've never had a chance to develop up a Chaos team and I have at least three teams I want to run through tabletop leagues - bear in mind my league takes six months to play one season - before I run Chaos in Tabletop, and I wanted to finish the game off for SPP purposes...see if there were any more casualties or anything like that. That, and I can use it as one of my two "demo" games for MBBL entry next time that rolls around.
Deathwing wrote:Did you score again? Way to go dude, give yourself a pat on the back.
I'm actually offended if you honestly think it was so I could gloat or anything. Jeez....you know me better than that.
Deathwing wrote: The current version of the tool is 2.3betaD. It's Pub League compatable, but won't run older files. Finish any games you have in progress and grab it from Tom's site. A lot more is automated (K-Offs)and it's really rather flash!
I will, as soon as I'm through the game I'm playing against Pariah, where my Vampires' luck is doing a rough impersonation of the luck your CDs had. I'm not entirely sure I'm not already running the latest though.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Thadrin wrote:
Team development. I want to run that team through several games as I've never had a chance and I have at least three teams I want to run through tabletop leagues before I want to run Chaos, and I wanted to finish the game off for SPP purposes...see if there were any more casualties or anything like that. That, and I can use it as one of my two "demo" games for MBBL entry next time that rolls around.

I'm actually offended that you honestly think it was so I could gloat or anything. Jeez....you know me better than that.
Ok, coupla points. Fair enough on the development front, it was just a 'throwaway' game as far as I was concerned, I wasn't awarding SPPs or anything as they wouldn't be awarded at Spiky. Maybe a little slanted in respect of one or two decisions I made as well, tourney v. league play are different things with entirely different criteria.
As for MBBL log games, you play in SBBLL don't you? AFAIK, Tom said that was good enough somewhere, the purpose of log games is ensuring that people aren't rookies with the Pbem tool.
If I read it wrong, accept my apologies, trying to give up the weed again (day 3) which affects perception a little.
Shall we let the guys get back to the Vamp topic now? :P Buzz me a mail or pm if you're still pissed...

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

Yeah, I agree with the title of this thread. (That what we are talking about right? lol)

It's the same with the ogres. The original rookie ogre was a written up as a mellowed Morg but if you read carefully Morg is a blocker. Why not make other positional ogres?

Why do Luthor's stats set the ground work? It seems silly. One of the most overpowered stars should not be the basis for a team.
I'd like to see Vamps go the way I'm pushing for ogres. Use the different bloodlines as positions and have some vamps who can run and some who can block not 6 who can do everything!

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Pariah wrote:Yeah, I agree with the title of this thread. (That what we are talking about right? lol)
Yay! Back on topic :)

Do we need a vampire team? Again I'm mumbling about fluff, but they weren't supposed to make good teams (Vampires that is), the team (if there is one) should be rated alongside halflings in the power level of teams (IE, can win.. just rarely and not consistently enough).

Or should we simply assume that Luthor is a one off and that vampires don't really play Blood Bowl (and preferably sent to the vault).

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Ithilkir wrote:Do we need a vampire team? Again I'm mumbling about fluff, but they weren't supposed to make good teams (Vampires that is), the team (if there is one) should be rated alongside halflings in the power level of teams (IE, can win.. just rarely and not consistently enough).
JJ wants one.

That said ... the COFAB rule sreally do a number on a Vampire team without making it unplayable. I'm guessing the team is better than Halfling and Goblin ... but definitely more on the challenging side to play compared to the other teams.

I had some really bad dice against Torg (lots and lots of failed 2 dice blocks) ... I think in a rematch I could have taken him ... his Vampires really were not a problem for the game.

Galak

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

GalakStarscraper wrote:I had some really bad dice against Torg (lots and lots of failed 2 dice blocks) ... I think in a rematch I could have taken him ... his Vampires really were not a problem for the game.

Galak
OH YEAH! Thems fighten' words!

Seriously, though I was surprised to win the game (I had wxpected to lose) but I also had a lot of bad luck on dice rolls as well. Was just lucky on the last turn. But your right, vamps didn't really have a big effect on the game.

GO STAMPEDERS!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'm all for keeping to the fluff when developing new teams. Unfortunately, using fluff means no-one would ever play 'Flings or vampires, and rarely play Goblins. Why? Because according to the fluff these teams should never win at all (well, occasionally). Take 'Flings for example. As they stand they are a difficult team to play/win with, not impossible, just difficult - ask Galak. If we went back to fluff though they should only win against Gobbos and 'Flings and any of the big teams if they no-show. Remember the Shiretown Stuffers, 2-1 down when their opponents finally arrived. Who's going to want to play a team were their relying on their oppo no turning up for the game, or a couple of pitch invasions to clear his opponents roster?

So I agree that, yes, going by the fluff Vampires are to pwoerful, but if you went by the fluff no one would play them.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Darkson wrote: Unfortunately, using fluff means no-one would ever play 'Flings or vampires, and rarely play Goblins. Why? Because according to the fluff these teams should never win at all (well, occasionally).
People would play Goblins because it would mean they get to use all the fun secret weapons that really do rather need to be brought back (seeing as there wasn't anything wrong with the old rules, and we pretty much agree what the rule SHOULD be...) and Halflings because, well, sometimes its fun to see a team kicked around like that. Money is unlikely ever to be a problem for a team that has 30K base Linemen. Still in favour of the old "Chef as coach idea"...Tom has proved that 'flings can be competetive though.

COFAB has already shown itself in the test match I'm playing to be one of those things that seem determined to pop up at precisely the wrong moment. (Not helped by my having had two two dice blocks end up with my guy eating grass.)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

[quote="Thadrin]COFAB has already shown itself in the test match I'm playing to be one of those things that seem determined to pop up at precisely the wrong moment. (Not helped by my having had two two dice blocks end up with my guy eating grass.)[/quote]

Just to expand on that very quickly. The BIG difference between Bonehead and COFAB. Well when you fail a Bonehead roll all that usually happens in the you lose a block ... MAYBE a Blitz. With COFAB, a failed roll means a player that very likely could be holding the ball drops it and at a minimum you end up with a Stunned player (which is worse than Bonehead which only lasts one turn ... Stunned lasts 2).

As Thadrin said, COFAB can bite you (pun intended) at the worst possible moment very easily. Torg in are game had a ball carrying Vamp fail a roll also. So using that AG 4 has a price and well it should if the team is to be balanced.

Galak