Selecting Orc Skills

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Mocaiv
Veteran
Veteran

Selecting Orc Skills

Post by Mocaiv »

Being somewhat new to 4th Edition and now starting to develop player abilities, I was wondering what skills fellow Orc coaches go for first?

I have a couple of Blitzers each due a new skill, I was going to give one Sure Hands and pick something else for the other. (shame they can't have Dodge).

As for Black Orc Blockers, I guess Block is the first one to go for.

Any other thoughts?

Reason: ''
Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

Blitzers: Tackle, Strip Ball, Guard, Mighty Blow are the standard first choices (Around here anyway). Depends on the team makup, and what your opponent pool looks like. There's lots of dodge around here so I have 2 tacklers, 1 Dodge (whee, doubles), and 1 Strip Ball.

Black Orcs: Block. Then Guard... or Stand Firm on doubles.

-Khail

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

First of all Mocaiv, welcome to this board and to the "4th" edition.

Second, I would suggest you you post this kind of post under "Tactics and Team Development", where they are supposed to go !

Third, Sure Hands isn't a bad pick if you intend to make this guy your scorer.

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
DaFoola
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DaFoola »

Khail's given you some good options. I'd say which one you pick for each blitzer depends on how you generally use them.

Are they among your primary ballhandlers, involved in picking up a lot of balls? then Sure Hands is a fairly good idea.

I am personally a big fan of Guard. The blitzer is, as you probably know, the best position player you have, and this skill allows him to make those around him better at one of the things orcs do best - kick dere teefs in!

Play a lot of safety, against the opponents' catchers, or in a dodge-y league? Tackle is nice.

Do you send him around to blitz ballhandlers? Then Strip Ball is loads of fun.

Just some things to think about to help you decide (hopefully). And if you roll doubles, a Blodge orc is a wonderful thing (although getting Catch and using him as a receiver is something I've always considered a sexy idea, despite the fact that Dodge is clearly the more logical choice.

and yes, Block as a first skill on Black Orcs is a good rule of thumb. Mighty Blow and Guard are ones I'd take next. Now, many will tell you to take Stand Firm on doubles for Black Orcs, but Dodge is good for repositioning and taking hits. I had a BOB with Blodge a while back and loved every minute of it.

risu
Rookie
Rookie

I think it all depends on your league...

Post by risu »

We have alot of strength teams and virtually no speed teams in our league. Of course My BOB's get block first but any doubles get them Stand Firm so that my opponents have a harder time pushing open running lanes. Dodge would be nice but with two thirds of the current league dwarf teams it's kind of negated.

My linemen get Block or if doubles Guard. My blitzers is where I like to get creative and give a wide range of skills. One has Mighty Blow and Piling On, another Stand Firm and Strip Ball, while my third is lucky and AG and ST +1.

If I had more speed teams I might take some Tackle and Pass Block.

just my 2 cents

Thanks,
Risu
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

IMO Sure Hands is a waste as you can always use a TRR and you have Throwers to pick up the ball normally.

Tackle has to be the first skill. Otherwise all that bashing ability gets wasted against dodgers. You need the capability to take out catchers/runners.

Strip Ball may be useful, but not useful that often as your opponent must have the ball and not have Sure Hands. Opinions vary about Strip Ball but I think its best on elven blitzer types who can often get to the ball carrier.

Guard is good, but I use my BOBs to do most of the bashing so the blitzers don't really get involved in the melee too much, so its less useful on them.

MB will slightly improve your casualties, and taking it across the board can be devasting against soft opponents. I'd consider it a 2nd or 3rd skill if you want a bashing team.

Don't ignore Pass Block or Shadowing either. Anything that enables you to get movement in your opponents turn and increase the number of dodges they have to make is great. Shadowing isn't going to help too much unless there are few fast teams in the league. Pass Block works best against, surprise surprise, passing teams.

Ian

Mocaiv
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mocaiv »

Thanks guys, some good ideas there.

And I have looked at the "other" forum pages now, its just I always come here first...

WGF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WGF »

Well i have really strange Blitzers movement 5, 6, 7 and 8. But first skill for them all is Mighty Blow!!! Then go for shure hands/guard/tackle. Black orcs BLOCK!!!

It's a...[img]http://www.tutchfor.nl/wgf/images/willemkkk.gif[/img]