BB culture worldwide

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

I todally agree with Marcus and DW, that's why i m coming tomorrow!!!!

Reason: ''
Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Joshua Dyal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Joshua Dyal »

I'll likely take the next version of the LRB with the following changes: fouling and pushing into the crowd does give casualty SPPs again, there's no longer a difference between traits and skills, and I'd have to think long and hard about aging. I'm starting to warm up to the idea if for no other reason than it might be fun to see the formerly strong start to get old, go into a downward spiral and have to climb back up again. And it'll help if new players join mid-stream. But I don't much like the rules. And if I do play them, I'll play them as they are in 1.3, not the proposed changes in store for the next review.

Possible other house rules to examine -- go back to the 3.xx rule of two big guys per team instead of one, and maybe allow star player big guys to delete the negative traits on doubles rolls again.

This creates the climate I like better -- encourages more violence without making it over-the-top, and encourages more big guys, which I think are tons of fun.

I like the idea of the LRB, and having common rules --however, it sometimes seems there's a bias against some of the things I enjoy most about BB. Every rule change from the very first to come off Jervis's e-mail back in the early 3e dark ages when I used a telnet connection to read my e-mail have curbed the violence. I think much of it was warranted. But now it seems like over-correction to me.

[i]"Alea iacta est."[/i] Julius Caesar
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

spp for fouls does create an overly violent fouling game, fouling is dirty and petty, no need to reward it.

You have basically just said put it back to 3rd edition, so why don't you just play 3rd editition, most people on here though don't think 3rd editition is better.

I miss piling on jump up mummies, but i can see totally why moves were made to eliminate them, its also nice that catchers can't get stand firm now either, i like the introduction of traits and i honestly don't think that they are going to go anywhere quickly soon.

Joshua Dyal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Joshua Dyal »

Grumbledook wrote:spp for fouls does create an overly violent fouling game, fouling is dirty and petty, no need to reward it.

You have basically just said put it back to 3rd edition, so why don't you just play 3rd editition, most people on here though don't think 3rd editition is better.
Good heavens, I most certainly did not. The IGMEOY rule is still in effect, which we all knew was too harsh and reactionary when it first hit, and now we all just roll over and say if you don't implement it (and a whole host of other changes) you're going back to the wild and woolly days of 3e abuse?. Heck, I played in a league in those days that figured Sigurd's Injury table was enough by itself to balance out fouling, and you know what? It pretty much was.

As I said before, the LRB situation currently is over-correction in my opinion. To jump up and say (paraphrasing) just play third edition, that's obviously what you want even though everyone around here will think you're an idiot for doing so is not only blatantly untrue, it's very unproductive. If you don't think the current fouling rules are overdone, that's fine, but I hardly need to be called dirty and petty because I think fouling is an integral part of the game that has essentially been completely emasculated under the current ruleset.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I played a game this morning vs some undead where he must have fouled me 5 times, didnt' get sent off once, he even badly hurt my troll, who then didn't regenerate. Fouling seems to be working fine, i don't think its over kerbed. Fouling is "against the rules" in any sport, you should have to take the chance to be punished if you decide down this path, my goblin team does frequently.

Putting SPP on fouls, will encourage people to foul more, its easy 2 points if you crowd enough players around to break the armour, do it enough you will cause damage. Fouling isn't exactly integral, i have played games where no one fouls, i wouldn't say that the teams were disadvataged cause of this.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Joshua,

I read your post that you've felt like you've gotten beat up for expressing your views.

I actually went back and searched for all your posts and other than here and the correct mini thread I really didn't see anyone disagree with you, so you're at least WAAAYYY ahead of me, Zombie, Acerak, and Neo on that count.

As for the violence. I've seen what I thought was a good change to allow SPPs for fouling again. And as for bloodshed ... I'll repeat .. have you tried a Piling On Mummy with the LRB rules for Piling On ... brutal, man, simply simply, brutal. The bloodshed is definitely still there it just shifted from certain areas to others.

Galak

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Joshua Dyal wrote: As I said before, the LRB situation currently is over-correction in my opinion. To jump up and say (paraphrasing) just play third edition, that's obviously what you want even though everyone around here will think you're an idiot for doing so is not only blatantly untrue, it's very unproductive. If you don't think the current fouling rules are overdone, that's fine, but I hardly need to be called dirty and petty because I think fouling is an integral part of the game that has essentially been completely emasculated under the current ruleset.
Really don't see the problem here, why not just play LRB and house rule things to suit? You want SPPs for crowd cas. in your league? Fine, award them. Don't like IGMEOY? Don't use it. Where's the problem?
Most of the French guys still play modified 3e, there's no problem with that. Zombie prefers 4th and AFs, no problem with that either.

Incidently, paraphrasing aside, if myself (or Galak, or the other moderators) had noticed anything offensive posted in your direction (dirty, petty?) we'd have almost certainly removed it and been in touch with the guilty party.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Ah..forget something I meant to add. Acerak (Chet) certainly feels that there isn't enough 'bite' in fouling, suggest you run a search or two on the subject and review some old threads.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Joshua Dyal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Joshua Dyal »

I didn't mean to come across as put upon -- I certainly don't feel like the TBB is jumping all over me for perhaps expressing some opinions that aren't entirely du jour anymore.

I thought that particular post was a bit reactionary. I'm certainly not advocating a complete return to 3e rules, and to say that I am is hyberbolic willful misinterpretation. I don't point that out because I'm offended, merely because it completely sidetracks the discussion -- which is one I'd like to have had.

And the dirty and petty weren't paraphrased -- those were direct quotes. But like I said, I'm not offended, I don't need anyone to moderate in my behalf at this point, I merely think the rebuttal to my post did little except to confuse the issue by blowing what I said completely out of proportion.

I'm advocating simply allowing SPPs for fouls and pushing out of bounds, traits and skills are all just skills again, and maybe allow dodge and break tackle to be used multiple times per turn again. Those are rules that I miss, and I think they added some oomph to the game that seems to be missing a bit nowadays. Now, I don't need anyone on the board at all to agree with me on this, but I am curious what others think about it. Unless, of course, they try to tell me that by making these modest changes I'm ushering in the worst of 3e abuses all over again, which is certainly not true! :wink:

There are several rules that impact the ... er... impact of fouling, like Sigurd's, IMGMEOY and now the SPPs. All of them are an aggregate type of situation, so obviously removing the latest and least of those rules isn't going to make my game become 3e again.