Kick-offs

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

That is true. However, then I'd have to do a separate image for every possible outcome of the kick-off, wouldn't I?
And that, as you can well imagine, is not something I intend to do.

Reason: ''
[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Just gone back to it. Placed ball in centre square, used Kick skill and selected bad kick. The last 4 (highest %) areas are all very (very) similar colours and I can't tell the difference, or is it just me and my system?

Also, does it work off-line (not very au-fait on computing)?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Patience, patience - I'll add more colours sometime in the near future - from the tenth colour onwards they are all the same at the moment, but that will change eventually...
And no, it doesn't work offline - it's a php program and it is compiled and run on the server every time you request the page.
I'm far from a php expert, so there could of course be an "offline php-server" for testing out your programs before posting them on a website, but I haven't heard of one.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Great tool! My only negative comment is that it takes years to download, even on my T1 connection. What's with that?

Oh, and does the touchback take into account that it could end in the crowd before or after bouncing? It's a touchback either way.

Oh, and one last thing. I didn't know that you could aim at your own half of the field! Even if you can, there must be something wrong with your calculations, because it gives me a touchback only 46.88% of the time, but it has to be over 50%.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Ok, i've figured out the answer to two of my questions by looking at the color.

Your program does take the two kinds of touchbacks into account.

If you click in the bottom half of the field, it handles it just as if you had clicked on the same square of the top half. That's confusing, you should just get rid of the bottom half alogether.

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

I dunno about the download time - it's a university server and should be connected with a rather fast connection to the outside world, but there are lots of student using that bandwidth...

AFAIK you can't aim your own side of the pitch. I just added the other side there to make the image clear in the respect that where is the EZ and where is the LOS.

If you click you own side of the pitch in the program, it just takes the mirror image of that square to the other side of the pitch and calculates the odds from there - explanation might not be clear but try it out and you'll see what I mean.

I'll see if I get around to make smaller pictures and more efficient code... maybe next weekend - I've got a big exam on friday.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Mestari wrote:That is true. However, then I'd have to do a separate image for every possible outcome of the kick-off, wouldn't I?
And that, as you can well imagine, is not something I intend to do.
But the top half doesn't have to be links... so you can still cram them all together and get the appearance of a single image. Or am I missing something?

Ian

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Take a look at the page - new fixes:

-no more square-pictures to download - squares handled with table backgrounds - less time to download, hopefully.
-a pitch that looks a *LOT* better

(i know, the square borders aren't visible except after kicking off, but to me that's not a problem - it's still easy to aim to the square you want to kick to)

-No more pre-set colours, replaced by a gliding scale over the red colour region.

Next goals:
-The differences between colours are hard to spot if there are too many different ones. I'll enlarge the area from which the colours are selected.
-Support for artificually large amounts of different colours (this is now limited in several ways)

-And after these two I'll try to tackle the "kick-off not taken yet"-option...

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I wouldn't call it improved. It doesn't work at all on my comp anymore.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Works fine for me, and I like the improvements. Also have no problem with download time, and I'm still using a 56k modem (no Broadband in my area :pissed: )

Nice one Mestari.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Zombie wrote:I wouldn't call it improved. It doesn't work at all on my comp anymore.
:-D

Well, that logic works for Microsoft, so I wouldn't it work for me? I've learned to associate "improved" with "hangs up all time, if even manages to function at all"... :wink:

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

Nice tool and it validates my favorite kicking spot.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]