Chaos Dwarves, Back to the future

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I personally don't like 3ed CD, but think making them change their name now is to confusing for newbies. How about naming the 2nd ed CD's something in Dwarfish (I'm sure an old WD had the dwarven name for the mutant CD but I can't remember what).

Maybe to diffentiate between 2nd ed Cd and Dwarfs drop the troll slayers and give them access to Boar Centaurs (remeber those?). Stats off the top of my head:-

0-2 Boar Centaur 7/3/2/9 Thick Skull, G+Physical 90k

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

is it even remotely possible at this point to get a team of 2e cd's?

traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

Deathwing...

thanks for the advice. Hmm, i´m not using a free sites. I´m linking the pic to my webspace/homepage.

DaFrenchCoach...

Here is the link for a pict of 2.ed Chaos dwarfs i found WD116 ( thanks for the hint to Galak). I still missing Number 6 in my collection. If there is a Number 7... who will ever knew this ? :wink:

[img]http://www.ruediger-rickassel.de\picts\chaos-dwarfs-wd116.jpg[/img]
so you have to copy and put the link in again.

I tried this colorscheme on my CDs. But i´m still think thess masks are hardly to recognize as masks...

Lucien Swift....

I got my 2.ed CDs one after one. Took quite a time. But it´s possible :roll:

Traveller

Joshua Dyal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Joshua Dyal »

Blah! Sorry, but there's really few of the 2nd edition minis I like. The CDs are certainly not in that group!

I do love the 2nd edition skaven, though! And the orcs and humans aren't bad. In fact, the humans are so far superior to the 3rd edition ones that it's not even funny.

I'm seriously thinking about doing something similar to the MO Trollz conversions of chaos dwarves, though. Those are some pretty nifty little fellas.

[i]"Alea iacta est."[/i] Julius Caesar
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

OK, here is what I'm trying to get at, Chaos is supposed to come from the northern wastelands, it has currupted men(norse who become marauders) and dwarves (who become Chaos Dwarves). Dwarves originate in Norse mythos and should look norse-like (regular dwarves do so CDs should as well). CDs should be similar to dwarves just as marauders are similar to norse. I don't even know why the current CD team is called Chaos dwarf team, the base race is hobgoblins, so it should be called the Hobgoblin team. There are only 6 spots on the roster for these dwarvish creatures that are called CDs, it's like calling the Ork team a goblin team just because there are 4 gobbos on the roster. I will make one concession, let these guys with the stupid hats and dorky beards be called Southern Chaos Dwarves (SCDs) but still call the team, the Hobgoblin team. The CDs from the northern wastelands call the Northern (true) Chaos Dwarf team. Not too hard to do, just say that the current CDs are migrants from the north who settled down south and evolved into a different culture. There is no reason that there would be no CDs left back up in the nothern chaos wastes (there should be lots of them). As for stats you could go with having 4 blitzers as the 2ed team, but I know that 2 mutants could take 2 blitzer spots back in 2ed as well, that's why I suggested taking a normal dwarf lineup and replace the TS with mutants (randomly generate mutation depending on what Chaos god served). Also I would drop the WFB style names for the positions and just call them by there true BB names (ie LB is linedwarf, Runner is thrower, no TS). All having access to physical traits and BGs (ogre, troll, mino) would make it a different enough team from regular dwarves (keep Hobgob team with SCDs just as is).

GO STAMPEDERS!
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

If you read the fluff concerning choas dwarfs you will see that they are a twisted lot who want minerals and gold etc more so than dwarfs and they are evil and use hobbos as slaves, they also created black orcs (unless i am mistaken).

Also 6 choas dwarfs + 2 Centuares = 8
8= 16/2 so there you are half hte team is actually choas dwarfs and there is no way that choas dwarfs will be seen playing for a hobgoblin team, thats just ludicrous

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

My point is I don't really care about the fluff GW put out about the CDs as they exist in the 3ed (or whatever ed for WFB), since they have been dropped from WFB, it doesn't really matter. Keep the current team of Hobgobs and, for clarity sake we'll call 'em, Evil Dwarves (or Dark Dwarves if you prefer, but have a real Chaos Dwarf team that serve the Chaos gods and have the mark of Chaos on them (mutations) like they were in 2ed. You last comment doesn't really make alot of sense. Includind BCs in with the Evil Dwarves is like calling a regular centaur a human, they are two different things (though related). Calling the existing team the Hobgoblin team makes sense because the base race is Hobgobs, people can, and probably do, have starting teams with just Hobgobs and add Evil Dwarves and BCs later on.

GO STAMPEDERS!
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

First, the hobgobs are slaves; this is not their team.

Second, your proposed lineup isn't only very unimaginative and not worth bringing in, but it's also way overpowered and would make normal dwarves obsolete.

Third, for those of us who love the current chaos dwarves team (and that's a lot of people since it seems to be the team most played team by members of this board), don't change it, don't rename it, don't touch it. We love them the way they are.

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Zombie wrote:Second, your proposed lineup isn't only very unimaginative and not worth bringing in, but it's also way overpowered and would make normal dwarves obsolete.
As far as being imaginative, I wasn't trying to be at all. What I was proposing was bringing back the 2ed CDs, which did not render the regular dwarf team obsolete. The only reason CDs were changed in 3ed was to put inline with WFB.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I just ordered the bitz to make a real CD team and hopefully with have them done somethime in Nov. Don't know if I will be able to post pictures, but we will see.

GO STAMPEDERS!
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Torg wrote:I just ordered the bitz to make a real CD team
With hobgoblins and all? <i>Real</i> chaos dwarves include hobgoblins, you know. Better get used to it, because it's not likely to change anytime soon! Especially since so many people love chaos dwarves now with the two bull centaurs included.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I suppose it all goes back to which era of GW you prefer. If you prefer the current 6th (7th?) ed. of WFB then the "Big Hats" will be "proper" CD's in your eyes, but if you prefer 3rd/4th ed. then CD's with masks and mutations will be your choice. As I said my votes on mutant CD's but everyone has a difference of opipion, and that's fine. Please don't flame an idea just because it doesn't fit in your view.

The games big enough for all varients, and as long as it's balanced where's the harm in having "BigHats" and "Mutant" CD's?

(And before smeone has a go at me for living in the past, so what? GW products and fluff were back then in my view. So sue me)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Oh., and if you're going to use "mutant" CD's with Boar Centaurs as I proposed above, then I'd up re-rolls to at least 50k, if not 60k (Those Big Hands come in handy on a AG2 team) and as mentioned above give all palyers access to physical traits.

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

As Darkson said, it all depends on what fluff you prefer, as GW has continually changed fluff over the years without any concern with consitancy. I started playing BB with the 2ed, so the2ed version of CDs to me are the real CDs. I don't play WFB, so the change to the stupid looking ones with the dorky hats didn't impress me. I do have a team and they are good, but to me they are not and were never real CDs.

As far as the boar centaur idea, I'm not really keen on it, never really liked BC either (that doesn't mean they're not good players). But that shouldn't stop you from using them if you want. BTW never heard of boar centaurs until you mentioned them, must be from WFB.

GO STAMPEDERS!
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Hey, like i said, my only two problems with your idea are:

1. Don't touch the current chaos dwarves (even the name).
2. Don't make it too much like the dwarf team. If you make the dwarf team, one of the most played teams, obsolete, that's bad news.

If you can make it sufficiently different to make it worth bringing in strategically, and call it something else, i have no problem with it.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Boar Centaurs: P.288-290 of the 86-91 Citadel Mini's catalogue.

Thewere introduced in an early WD (somewhere between 100-150 - sorry, can't narrow it down at the moment). They were bred by Chaos Dwarf engineer Thymbrin who had left the Engineers Guild due to the Guild's love of "Tradition".
They were used to power 3 CD war machines. The "Tenderiser", with t's crushing hammers, the "Whirlwind" with it's spinning blades and the"Juggernaut", which looks like a moving tower (imagine an Empire War Wagon designed by CD's).

The models came with a standard set of boar-like legs and 3 different bodies, 1 per type of war machine. They pretty much disappeared when WFB was updated from the 1987 edition (3rd?) to the next edition.

I'm not sure if the models are still available (I've not found the on the GWMO website) but they should be possible to convert from plastic Boars and Dwarfs.