House Rulez Magazine Issue 3 Now Available

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

House Rulez Magazine Issue 3 Now Available

Post by CyberHare »

All right the wait is over and I guaruntee that I won't run out of copies :)

House Rulez Magazine issue 3 can now be downloaded at the House Rulez web site http://www.house-rulez.com.

Hope you all like it.

Reason: ''
Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Really great job!!!
i ve just read it and it is really great.

Why does the #4 will be released only on February?
that a long time to wait!

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Best issue yet! :D Only minor gripe is that the pics are a little too compressed. I realise size is an issue, and you can't please all of the people all of the time, but I'm on the side of quality at the expense of quantity.
All in all a damned good read though, well done to all contributors and Brian in particular! :D

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Excellent job again. :D

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Excellent work Brian, as usual!

And the NAF site isn't quite that far behind :P :D

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Deathwing wrote: Posted: 19 Mar 2002 16:59

....if I was Geoff Thirwell, won all 4 games and finished 22nd I would have been absolutely gutted!
LOL! Read the letters? :D

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Very nice, want to make it bi-monthly :lol: ?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

Thanks for all the praise guys but the I have to pass that on to the great people who write for the magazine. Without them it's just a picture of me and a few stories.

As for making the magazine by monthly I'd have to say no for now. To put the magazine out every 2 months would be a full time jod for me and the writers who volunteer their pens to the cause. Everything works well at the every four months mark as this last issue went great. Maybe sometime in the future I'll move to every three months but not yet.

I was curious about one thing though. How big of a file would people be willing to download to get the magazine. I'm thinking along the lines of image quality here. better pictures means a bigger file size. How big is to big?

Thanks again for reading the mag. Don't forget we're always looking for people interested in writing.

Brian St.James

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

Anthony_TBBF wrote:Excellent work Brian, as usual!

And the NAF site isn't quite that far behind :P :D
Clan rat has total freedom to write just about whatever he wants within the boundries of decency and common sense. Remember, it is called "Rumors From the Rat", not "Facts from the rat". I have the feeling he likes to get people going and then being able to sit back and enjoy the mayhem.

Brian St.James

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'd be happy upto about 4-5Mb, but that's cos I'm still on a crappy 56k dial-up service that has a habit of dropping in the middle of a download.

By the way, 2 months was just a joke, hell, I had enough trouble doing a weekly club round-up on Word(TM) so my hats of to you and your contributors.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

TH.Lapin wrote: I have the feeling he likes to get people going and then being able to sit back and enjoy the mayhem.
:D The 'soccer' quote made me laugh!

Is there something blindingly obvious I'm missing as to quite why it's so big?
Issue 2 shows just under 9 Mb, this month is just over 2, yet the LRB is 926K. What gives? (in layman's terms please! :) )

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

LRB 1.3 =1208k, but yeah, it is a small difference isn't it?

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

What gives?
It's all in how the PDF is compressed, how many images you have, what resolution etc. PDFs are a pain in the a*s to make sometimes :)

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

In issue 2 all of the pictures in the magazine are uncompressed and full size. I only dabbly in layout as a hobby, I don't pretend to be an expert so it never crossed my mind when I was doing that issue that leaving the pictures as they were would create such a big file.

After a friend of mine who does do this for a living gave me a friendly smack in the back of the head I figured out what I was doing wrong. Hence the smaller file size of issue 3.

Now as to why the LRB has a smaller file size than House rulez I'm not sure. As I said I'm not an expert in PDF so it's completely possibly that there's something else I could be doing to make the file size smaller. I can say though that House Rulez has a lot more color and color pictures than the LRB. Text pages don't take much space, it's the graphics that kill you.

If anyone has any advice on how to keep the file size down without loosing image quality or content of the mag, I'd be glad to hear it. It's a work in progress. A few more issues and all the bugs should be worked out :)

Brian St.James

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

Wow, a hatrick of great issues, you guys rock!

another good "did you know" from Tom

loved the soccer quote, a real belly laugh ensued. I would almost say Guffaw.....almost but not quite.

And I got a mention!!! :smoking:

my life is complete - now all I have left is to type up that idea about after hours pub bowl (pissed bowl) and send it in. Maybe also my ravings about team transport wouldn't go amiss. :wink:

I think it needs a game report from some TBBers in the style of Jim and Bob in addition to the article from Calvin which is getting better with each new section.

anyway respect to Brian for creating such a good fanzine 8)