Ageing, how long should it take.

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

How many games should it take to age a player into retirement.

10-15
No votes
16-20
9%
21-25
22%
26-30
22%
31+
48%

Total votes: 46

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Ageing, how long should it take.

Post by neoliminal »

Assuming an average player, how many games should it take before that player is no longer worth the cost and slot he holds?

For example:

7 3 3 8 Human Blitzer Block 90,000

At what point is this player no longer worth his slot and cost? If his ST was reduced or he had three niggling injuries, I think most people would fire him.

How many games should it take for him to get to that point? How long should the average Blood Bowl player's career be?

Reason: ''
Rustycan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rustycan »

You,re right!! If I had a blitzer that had a -1 ST he would bveout of there. I mean if the players that are supposed to open up hole in the line are equal to halflings then by god he would on the sidelines coaching!!! And the 3 niggles come on!!!!

When I was a kid, my father used to say the two worst things in the world are Ignorance and Apathy,
Well I dont know and I dont care!!
SixFootDwarf
Experienced
Experienced

Post by SixFootDwarf »

I have a Trollslayer that's played the past 20 games with 3 niggling injuries and he's missed maybe 3 of those games due to it. In those 20 games he's had in the neighborhood of 30 casualties and 8 deaths. I think people overinflate the damage caused by a niggling injuries. It's like going-for-it...how often do you do THAT in a game and succeed? I say give these aging warriors a chance. A guy might have 3 nigglings, but with block, tackle, guard, piling on, mighty blow, pro, frenzy, and dauntless....I personally think he's worth it. :)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Hey Neo ... look back at the EXP thread ... I proposed a change to Chet's aging suggestion that I think you might like ... I even ran the numbers and I think its a good mix of all the good stuff.

Galak

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Hmmm, I'm not really certain this is a question that can be voted on with any degree of conviction. Some players are going to earn spps at a faster rate than others, so trying to have such a blanket answer is doomed to failure.

The rate of aging is always going to be something judged in a qualitative way, not a quantitative way, IMO.

If you are raising questions like this, Neo, perhaps you should start by addressing a more vague (but more important) question of what aging is actually supposed to achieve. The more precise you can be to this admittedly imprecise question, the better you can address what the correct question is to ask about "aging rates".

Cheers,
Martyn

gallowin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gallowin »

I get the impression that people are trying to beef up the aging & niggling drawbacks so that high TR teams will have incentive to start cycling out the damaged players and in effect lower the TR.

Keep in mind that whatever happens to aging & niggling will have an impact on new teams trying to develop. You might see teams developing a lot slower or flat out struggling because they can't keep up with injuries or players getting old before their time.

"A twist of the wrist, a slip of the blade, and your posturing is ended"
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

gallowin wrote:I get the impression that people are trying to beef up the aging & niggling drawbacks so that high TR teams will have incentive to start cycling out the damaged players and in effect lower the TR.

Keep in mind that whatever happens to aging & niggling will have an impact on new teams trying to develop. You might see teams developing a lot slower or flat out struggling because they can't keep up with injuries or players getting old before their time.
gallowin,

This is covered in detail in another thread, but in another thread there is a proposal to change the aging rules in such a way that your average team would be at least 15 games old before starting to age at all ... best idea I've seen for .... well ... for a couple years at least.

Code: Select all

1. Replace the MVP column with an EXP column. This represents the player's EXPerience rating. 
2. At the end of each match, roll a D6 for each player eligible to play that game. If the D6 roll is higher than the player's EXP total, then the player gains 1 EXP for playing the match. A roll of 6 always succeeds, and a roll of 1 always fails. 
3. Each EXP point is worth 1 SPP. 
4. After a player reaches their 6th EXP, any subsequent rolls of 1 for the EXP roll requires a possible aging roll. 

Ageing roll: 
2 ST -1 and Miss Next Game
3 AG -1 and Miss Next Game
4 MA -1 and Miss Next Game
5 AV -1 and Miss Next Game
6 Niggle and Miss Next Game
7 Miss Next Game
8-12 No Effect 
The discussion is at:
viewtopic.php?t=1721&start=105

Galak

Heiper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Heiper »

Galak, thats ALOT of rolls at the end of a match though. 16 players its 16 rolls. Don't even want to think about the rolls for Snotlings if they ever come back.

-Heiper-
franck_le_grand
Veteran
Veteran

Post by franck_le_grand »

Heiper:
Galak, thats ALOT of rolls at the end of a match though. 16 players its 16 rolls. Don't even want to think about the rolls for Snotlings if they ever come back.
You could roll them all at once if you have 16 dices (I suppose you have). The dice nearest to you is number one, the 2nd nearest is number two and so on.
This would reduce the time being spend rolling dices, but after all it's fun to roll for things after a match.
Don't you know the feeling after a game when none of youre players has gone up a level and you sit back and miss something to roll for?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Heiper wrote:Galak, thats ALOT of rolls at the end of a match though. 16 players its 16 rolls. Don't even want to think about the rolls for Snotlings if they ever come back.
Its the post game Heiper ... who cares?

Honestly I mean that and I'm not being flippant. Play Titan ... that was a lot of dice rolling. What I'd probably end up doing is having a dice bag with 16 D6s in 16 different colors (one for each player). Grab them during the end game and make one big roll for an experienced team you'll only need to care about the 1s and 6s ... piece of cake. Heck in Titan I've had to make 33d6 rolls .. 16d6 is nothing.

I'm with Frank, I don't mind the post games rolls. Money, Skills, Fan Factor, MVP player, and Aging are the current mix .... now it will be Money, Skills, Fan Factor, EXP, Aging. At the end of the day, the system has soooooooo many benefits that a few extra rolls are clearly worth it.

Galak

Heiper
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Heiper »

I agree that the system looks very good. You won't get a player to age until at least match 7, and thats a good thing. But i still think its alot of dices to throw at the end of a game.

Winnings, FanFactor then the 16 EXP rolls, and Age roll for the players that age and the starplayer rolls and at last maybe the injury rolls too. And do remeber that in the box the game comes with, its nothing near 16 D6s in. For new ppl it will seem like alot of dices to throw. It won't exactly help new ppl getting in the blood bowl game imo. I don't have a better idea, but there should be possible to some up with one that doesn't have that many rolls. Thats my opinion anyways.

-Heiper-
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Not trying to be argumentive.

But I've never met a Blood Bowl player (even a new one) that minded throwing dice .... and remember its only 11 to 12 rolls for a new coach and for a new coach 5 out of 6 of those rolls are worth 1 SPP each. Never met a coach (even a new one) that didn't enjoy making rolls when they get something.

Galak

franck_le_grand
Veteran
Veteran

Post by franck_le_grand »

I'm with Galak 100%

What's the big deal about rolling all those dices, for me it's just fun.
After a good match, there's nothing more fun to see your opennonts face when you roll six 6 for EXP, and he gets one.

More postmatch features and more team-handling equals more fun!

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Galak, i agree with the crowd that says it's way to many rolls to be practical. I hope this never gets implemented.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Zombie wrote:Galak, i agree with the crowd that says it's way to many rolls to be practical. I hope this never gets implemented.
Hmmm Zombie ... this is great.

You'd throw out a great idea because of some dice rolls.

Classic ... you guys ... just plain classic.

Don't expect dice rolling to stop this one.

Galak