Using the "correct" minis

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

Zombie wrote:Sorry, didn't get that. I don't read House-Rulez. Even the title turns me off.
I'm sorry to hear that :( Sorry to go off topic here but is there something in particular you don't like about the mag. I'm always interested to hear comments on the mag, good and bad. If everyone liked the mag then what would there be left to improve :D

Oh, and about the quote comment. You were quoted way back in issue one by the Clan Rat.

Reason: ''
Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
Joshua Dyal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Joshua Dyal »

Darkson wrote:So you're still penalizing coaches with unpainted teams. it doesn't matter how you word it, if you give a bonus to one set, your penalizing the other.
Quite frankly, Darkson, someone who would be that pissy about such a rule, is probably someone I don't want in the league anyway. Likely it'd be one headache after another as he argues with everything I try to do that he doesn't like. If I'm going to commish a league, it has to be a league I enjoy playing in. That means I'm going to have to put a stake in the ground about what I like, and people who are so opposed to that position that they have to either argue about it incessantly or question whether or not they want to be in the league at all are just too diametrically opposed to the things I like about the game for me to enjoy running a league with them.

Now if someone just can't get it together to paint their team, but is willing to forfeit a very modest bonus that he could get otherwise, that's fine. But if he's just going to argue about it and take his toys and go home, more power to him -- that's where I'd rather have him.

[i]"Alea iacta est."[/i] Julius Caesar
vorner23
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vorner23 »

Well I think it's just a case of accepting some people just aren't into painting. Whether they are CLEARLY WRONG or possibly maybe might could be right. Is up to everyone to decide. Are we really covering new ground?

(Did you notice the subtle indication of my view? Darn I was trying to be impartial!)

Come on guys. BB is all about bringing people together..... so they can then hurt each other!

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Joshua,
Well , if you still go on like this, you will play alone soon.
League commish doesnt mean ruling the world but putting people together with sometimes sacrifices on what you like.
I wouldnt play in your league with this rule.
Sorry but people want to play not to pain. And some dont like painting stuff. (i know some good and cool coaches like this).

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Zombie wrote:
Again, the comparison with chess still holds. It's more fun to play against someone across a table, with the most cheap ass board, than to play against him on a computer, even if we're sitting on the same comp. There are many reasons. One is that it's better to sit in front of him rather than next to him, so you can see the expressions on his face, making human contact and interaction more prevalent. The other is that you lose the feel of moving your own pieces and touching them with your own hands.
Couldn't agree more. So the 'touch' and 'feel' of minatures is a factor after all then?
"What people here need to understand is that Blood Bowl is first and foremost a strategy game. You've all been brainwashed by GW to think that it's about miniatures, and painted ones at that."

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Trambi
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Trambi »

Deathwing : one point.

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
Joshua Dyal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Joshua Dyal »

vorner23 wrote:Well I think it's just a case of accepting some people just aren't into painting. Whether they are CLEARLY WRONG or possibly maybe might could be right. Is up to everyone to decide. Are we really covering new ground?

(Did you notice the subtle indication of my view? Darn I was trying to be impartial!)

Come on guys. BB is all about bringing people together..... so they can then hurt each other!
It's not a case of wrong or right, it's a case of my clear personal preference for painted minis. To me, the minis are clearly part of the hobby, and if people are so stuck on not painting that they wouldn't even accept this modest encouragement, then I'm probably not interested in playing with them. There's nothing wrong about their preference, it just doesn't match mine.

Maybe I'm tainted coming out of the whole roleplaying scene as I am, but I'm sorry -- I don't make compromises on my game just to play, I play the game I want and I like. If it makes it harder to find players, then so be it -- in the end it's worth it to me because I enjoy the experience so much more.

Joshua Dyal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Joshua Dyal »

Longshot wrote:Joshua,
Well , if you still go on like this, you will play alone soon.
League commish doesnt mean ruling the world but putting people together with sometimes sacrifices on what you like.
I wouldnt play in your league with this rule.
Sorry but people want to play not to pain. And some dont like painting stuff. (i know some good and cool coaches like this).
Don't be so dramatic -- league commish means making decisions about how the league plays. It also is an increase in workload that I'm not going to take on for a league that I don't really enjoy playing in. If I can't even add an optional rule to encourage painting without an outcry from a bunch of guys who aren't even considering playing in my league, then forget it! The game is about having fun. If having painted minis increases my fun significantly, who are you to tell me I'm wrong? I'm sorry you and Darkson and Zombie won't play in my league, but since you wouldn't anyway considering our geographic locations, I feel like that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Not to mention the fact that I've heard a lot stricter rules being tossed around as done in other leagues here on TBB -- and you're telling me I'll soon be playing alone because of this rule? Where's the logic in that? Image

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

TH.Lapin wrote:
Oh, and about the quote comment. You were quoted way back in issue one by the Clan Rat.
? Actually I was referring to Issue 3 and "soccer".

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

Deathwing wrote:? Actually I was referring to Issue 3 and "soccer".
Does that lead back to Zombie? I wasn't sure where Clan Rat got that quote from but I know better than to question the Rat 8) I sleep better that way.

Ahh yes now I remember the quote in issue one was from Pinkie on the BBC.

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I can't comment on the content, since i've never even opened the thing. I just don't feel any urge to read somthing like that, it's just not interesting to me. About the title, it's the Z that i dislike. A new trend that i find totally ridiculous. People think words look more cool with a Z at the end. Well they don't.

I'd still like to know what was quoted from me though. Care to share it with me?

Oh and one other thing, i don't like people quoting stuff from me without permission. If it's possible, could you edit it out next time, or at least talk to me about it first?

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Deathwing, you know damn well that's not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about tangible vs intangible, reality vs virtual. I couldn't care less if the playing pieces were funny looking cubes. At least i could still hold them in my hand, and the touch would send impulses to my brain, reminding me that i'm still alive. Playing on a computer just makes you feel like you're slowly dying.

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

Yes, sort of like that brainless hobby Starcraft.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Yep. But to take the defense of computer games though, at least they make lots of things possible that board games can't do. However, when the same game can be played on a board or on a computer, there's no contest, board is always tons better.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Zombie wrote: At least i could still hold them in my hand, and the touch would send impulses to my brain, reminding me that i'm still alive. Playing on a computer just makes you feel like you're slowly dying.
Ah, now we're getting there...the touch, feel and simple pleasure of painted minis enchance the experience and make the whole game more 'alive' to us 'brainwashed' masses...
And yes...if you've bought an Ogre, spent a bit of time painting him..it's damn exciting fielding him for the first time, and gives your opponent much greater pleasure in knocking him over...
I guess some of get more out of this than others, to some it's a great strategy game, to others a whole hobby.
The point is that if nobody gives a damn about figs/ painting in some leagues, fine, but if you come into a league where the majority have made
an effort then you should do the same. There's nothing wrong in house ruling some encouragement.