TR system revisited

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Jumping in here. I agree with both sides of this arguement. Mestari, your idea has credit, but is more complicated, despite "only adding a one digit no. to a 2 digit at most", when I have to start remembering whether it's an skill, trait, other pos. skill etc. for each of my players.

However, I do agree we need to look at TR in relation to Nigs and Tresurery. Imagine this situation (which happened in our league). Coach A has an undead team. Whenever he "raises the dead" he turns the new zombie into a coach, and freeboots Drakenborg whenever he has the money. He has a TR of about 130. His next game was against the Human coach whose having a torrid season (his regular season was 1-2-7). He only has 12 players on his roster though deaths, and fails 2 of his 3 nigs. His TR is 146. So not only does the Undead have a better team anyway, his opponent only has 10 players for the game and is giving away a Handicap.

I admit this is an extreme example, but it did happen. The human player is the youngest in the club, and the Undead coah went easy on him (well he was his father) and only won 2-0 and caused 2 cas. The human team was on a downward spiral which it never recovered from (plus the human coach is getting more and more down about wargaming, which is one of the reasons we're playing Quest at the mo).

I guess my ramblings have gone on enough, but I just wanted to shoe the present system can be etremly unfair, and could help drive people away form the hobby.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Also, if they had coach ratings, and that game would've affect them, then the kids father would've gotten an increase to his CR that would be far more than he deserved - and the other coach would've gotten a decrease far bigger than he deserved under those circumstances. Such situations are bound to arise and certainly will make people unhappy.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Pink Horror
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pink Horror »

From what I understand, the coach rating system used by the NAF will be similar to the system used by the MBBL and chess, right? Well, I have to say that, for purposes of only a few games, that chess system can be as unfair as TR. What's the point in trying to make an accurate short-term TR to go along with a system that only becomes accurate after a long term of play?

Pink Horror

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

IMO: the CR system is inaccurate in the beginning as everyone starts from the same CR for a certain race. Then after lots of games the CR should converge on the value that you deserve.
But the fact that it's inaccurate at first isn't a reason for having inaccurate TRs - especially because inaccurate TR's make the progress to your actual CR slower!

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]