What if Cyanide did to BloodBowl what GW did to Warhammer?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

What if Cyanide did to BloodBowl what GW did to Warhammer?

Post by El Hombre »

These last days have been very intensive for Warhammer players all over the world (and i reckon there are more of them than there are Bloodbowlplayers...), and either for or against "Age of Sigmar" (please don't start that discussion over here :lol: ), consensus is that their beloved game is gone.

I know GW doesn't own the game anymore, and if I'm correct the rights are now with Cyanide. I wondered what would happen when they pulled something like this. They are pushing some teams (brets, khorne, for example), but that's really nothing compared to what GW did to WHFB.

What are your thoughts on this?

Reason: ''
Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
--*--Founder League of Rodents--*--
--*--Commissioner BBBF Online League--*--
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: What if Cyanide did to BloodBowl what GW did to Warhamme

Post by Darkson »

El Hombre wrote:I know GW doesn't own the game anymore, and if I'm correct the rights are now with Cyanide.
Wrong on both counts. GW still own BB, and Cyanide only have a license to the game, in the same way any other software house has the rights to a GW IP, or FFG has the BB rights for the card game. GW could decide not to renew the license then Cyanide would have nothing.

In the spirit of the question, I expect most hardcore BB players would ignore it, and casual players wouldn't care less.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by El Hombre »

So, technically they COULD do to BloodBowl what they did to Warhammer? :-? :lol:

Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
--*--Founder League of Rodents--*--
--*--Commissioner BBBF Online League--*--
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

GW could do what they like.
Cyanide could, but would need GW to sign anything off.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

can't say what others would do, but our league, which has been going since 1991, still plays a modified 3rd ed. i highly doubt it would stop us doing what we enjoy.
most would'nt care...

Rick Sanchez lives!
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Every day I thank Icepelt(s) for my LRB6 rule book :orc:

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I could certainly see Cyanide adding the Sigmarines to BB2 at some stage.

It looks like the GW are going to be changing the fluff and style of a lot of the warhammer races as well over the coming years. Cyanide could easily use this to change existing BB teams or bring out a new version to represent this.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

Nothing Cyanide does gets implented into thunderbowl's rules. We use are a non house rule league and run LRB6 strictly and will do so until a recognized Blood Bowl authority (BBRC or Games Workshop) changes the official table top rules. S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
DinoTitanedition
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by DinoTitanedition »

I could certainly see Cyanide adding the Sigmarines to BB2 at some stage.

It looks like the GW are going to be changing the fluff and style of a lot of the warhammer races as well over the coming years. Cyanide could easily use this to change existing BB teams or bring out a new version to represent this.
Nope, they couldn`t. BB lives in a slightly different Warhammerworld. But Sigmarites do not exist in that timeperiod. They were forged thousands of years later, after the planet that was the Warhammerworld was utterly destroyed. Their armory is forged from the core of that planet. Fluffwise they simply would not fit into that scenario. Khorneteams or Bretonnians actually do.

Still, I wouldn`t mind a little fresh wind. A little bit more randomness, to decramp competitive playstyle and finally give us something new. Would bring more new players and a little more fun into the game.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

DinoTitanedition wrote:Nope, they couldn`t.
If GW say they can, then they can.
BB lives in a slightly different Warhammerworld.
So? If they can destroy a world that's existed in the fluff for 20+ years they can just as easily change, or re-write, the BB fluff. Again, if they, or GW, decide to do so, they can.

I hope they don't, but they could easily do it.

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Blammaham wrote:until a recognized Blood Bowl authority (BBRC or Games Workshop) changes the official table top rules.
At the risk of derailing the thread entirely, what makes one a 'recognised authority'? GW are accepted since they own the game, but not Cyanide even though they have the license from GW and are endorsed and supported by GW?

Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

Vanguard wrote:
Blammaham wrote:until a recognized Blood Bowl authority (BBRC or Games Workshop) changes the official table top rules.
At the risk of derailing the thread entirely, what makes one a 'recognised authority'? GW are accepted since they own the game, but not Cyanide even though they have the license from GW and are endorsed and supported by GW?
Yes, because trust. Why should the TT community follow an online game that changes often due to a fiscal structure rather than what is good for, or needed in the game? Doesn't make sense to me no matter who endorses who. S.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Because GW aren't/weren't fiscally driven?

I don't want Cyanide to change things either, but claiming to not want it because they are fiscally driven misses GWs' raison d'etre.

Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

dode74 wrote:Because GW aren't/weren't fiscally driven?

I don't want Cyanide to change things either, but claiming to not want it because they are fiscally driven misses GWs' raison d'etre.
LOL! :D A quick study of the handling of Blood Bowl's IP would suggest otherwise. Their abandonment of the TT game has been a godsend! I couldn't give two squirts of rat piss what Cyanide does, I've never played it, not even once. S.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Just because they are bad at it in the digital age doesn't mean that it isn't/wasn't their purpose. Look at how many rules changes there have been over the years.