Fouling on the last turn...

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Re: Fouling on the last turn...

Post by frogboy »

Yeah I'm feeling that post by Rolex too, I don't normally T16 foul but on this occasion it seemed like the logical thing to do. Yeah I laughed at the time, I had fun but also felt a bit bad but hey its a game. If someone plays in a way that they except the game is over before it is then in a way they have taken that enjoyment out of it for that final turn. So I fouled I had fun. I don't know if I should feel guilty really. Mmm would have been much better if it was a RL face to face game I guess. Maybe I'm just a dick ?

Reason: ''
I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

My name is Steve and I turn 16 foul! (Proudly)

Whenever I can, if the game is decided and I have milked all the possible SPP's out if my last turn I stick the boot in. I look at it this way, in the league I play in, I will almost certainly face this team again, but even if I don't, I feel like it is my responsibility to my opponents future opponent to try to do as much damage as possible (unless he's playing someone ahead of me in the standings next) as I would want them to do to my future opponents for me.

I try to do it as nice as I can, and I urge others to fulfill their responsibility to my next opponent when they have the last shot to stick the boot in. I do this face to face and on Fummbl too. I'm probably a dick, but in 20 odd years I've kept a steady stream of great opponents and there's no sign of running out of them. Blood bowl big boy pants. :) S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Yo ! So check this out, I just finished a game against a Skaven Coach with my High Elf team in the BlackBox on FUMBBL. It was all going pretty well 1-1 going into the second half with no injuries on either side and he's kicking to me. So I'm thinking I'm going to slowly plod up the field and score toward the last end of the second half for a 2-1 victory. well I always feel a bit guilty stalling but I still do it for one turn then touchdown in the 7th. He gets two turns with his gutter runners to draw, pretty fair I say.
Well he gets in the position to score but doesn't catch the ball and it scatters near my end zone in his 7th turn, his gutter runner is still in a position to score in the last turn but its next to the side line. short story, I crowd surf it in my last turn (GR breaks on impact). Boom I won the game yes but its not over yet cause he's got one turn left. He begins setting up for one of them guaranteed armour breaking assisted fouls on a prone High Elf but cant resist one last Block. He throws a meaningless 1 dicer and gets a Skull, his Rat RIP. Game over.

Moral of the Story, don't start threads about T16 fouls on any BB forums and expect not to get some action...

:lol:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

I'm with Dode on this one. There is a tactical advantage to all T16 fouls regardless of format. If you get a rep as a T16 fouler, your opponents are less likely to try a risky but potentially game winning last ditch score attempt. Because if it goes wrong they fall over. And then you pop their skull :).

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

For me it just depends on who it is I'm playing... I don't tend to do it on FUMBBL etc because I've had a lot of bad experiences with coaches getting funny with me on there so I play it safe but there are a couple of coaches in our tabletop league that are notorious for excessive fouling when they're already ahead and are stalling on your battered team. Now, I'll go on the record as saying I have nothing against that, if they want to play in that style, that's their prerogative (I find it awkward when introducing new players as it's not fun to play against unless you are capable of thinking of it as a tactically interesting situation but that's a whole other thread) but it does make me less inclined to play like a gentleman and they should fully expect T16 crowd-pushes and a T16 foul against their best player if I get the chance. It's not something I'd ever make a habit out of but there are times when it just feels right to stick the boot in like that.

In fact, my last game ended with my Vampires losing 1-0 to a Wood Elf team after two back-to-back failed GFI TD attempts and my opponent had a great opportunity to foul my ST5 / Block Vampire ball carrier and decided against it as we'd had such a fun game and he felt that I'd been robbed of a draw. I had a great deal of respect for him passing that up! I think it's totally situational. Though if you do it every game win, lose or draw I think you might be a bell end.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Could anyone imagine a game of chess where you say, "you've played really well, I like you as a person. I could take that pawn but I'm not going to."?

These are game pieces. It is a game. Expect everything to die and then anything less than that is a bonus :).

lanky316
Experienced
Experienced

Post by lanky316 »

Waldorf28 wrote:Could anyone imagine a game of chess where you say, "you've played really well, I like you as a person. I could take that pawn but I'm not going to."?
No, because in this event the game is won and therefore you couldn't take that pawn.

As for T16 fouling, it really depends on how the game has gone. If the opposing team are battered I tend to let them off depending on TV, if it's a new team they've suffered enough if it's a high TV team I can't miss the chance to bring them down ahead of any future potential matches. If my team are battered then I'm damn well taking some of you with me. Alternatively locally it despends a bit more on the coach. If I get on with them we tend to play out "a good clean game" where the result is down to whichever coach plays well and the dice falls on the day (and stories within the game. A match against an Undead coach degenerated into me spending the last three turns trying to kill a resurrected zombie). If I don't get on with the coach, I'm spending 16 turns trying to destroy you and a last turn gang foul is most certainly on the agenda.

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Y'see this is where people are getting it all wrong!

A foul is *as* legitimate a play as a Blitz action, but you never hear anyone whine about the T16 Blitz.

The fact SPPs are not earned is irrelevant - there is tactical advantage to a T16 foul as I described above.

Anyone who translates their personal animosity towards a human opponent into in-game actions is a tool. I'm gonna foul ya whether I love or hates ya :).

Anyone who allows takes a T16 foul against them as a personal slight has self-esteem issues and should play something else.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Waldorf28 wrote:A foul is *as* legitimate a play as a Blitz action, but you never hear anyone whine about the T16 Blitz.
Because a Blitz has a risk for the player doing it, a foul doesn't.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

I don't think that adequately accounts for the discrepancy.

Furthermore, by that argument a T16 Foul which requires a GFI is legitimate, but one that doesn't isn't.

Is that really the point you are trying to make?

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

If there is an opportunity to remove a highly skilled player, particularly one with doubles skills, from the game permanently on your last turn then it is you civic duty to gang foul them with as many people as you can. You're doing the rest of us that have to play them next a favor. The rules of utilitarianism state that player must die on a turn 16 foul.

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

Waldorf28 wrote: ...
Furthermore, by that argument a T16 Foul which requires a GFI is legitimate, but one that doesn't isn't.
Aha... the old "get a good run-up" trick. Always works best. Just ask the bull centaur that Lord Borak killed for me last night (although that was turn 15... similar case though, there was no way he was getting to my stalling ball-carrier)

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Sweet!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

There are times when a T16 foul (or crowd push) makes good sense (league play, play-offs, OT).
I have no problem with these T16 fouls.

There are times when a T16 foul (or crowd push) makes no sense (open MM).
I've got no problems with T16 fouls, if that's how you want to play, then good for you.
In return, I expect you to allow me to feel you're a c*ck.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Darkson wrote:In return, I expect you to allow me to feel you're a c*ck.
You may beg, you may plead, but you are not feeling it.