Fouling on the last turn...

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Fouling on the last turn...

Post by dode74 »

The threat of doing it has to be real, even in Box. If I think you're not going to foul me then I might well risk my superstar wardancer in a last-ditch move which could score the TD which will win or tie the game, whereas if I think that failure has a good chance of him being killed then I may well not try it at all.

That said, personally I'd try it anyway ;)

Reason: ''
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Heff wrote:He did play properly, he controlled the clock and got a draw. He respected you enough to know he was not going to get the ball off you and score against the kick. Then you repay him with a move like that. The only mistake I can see is putting the tard on the line
Exactly, he should have put 3 Beastmen on the LOS.
dode74 wrote:The threat of doing it has to be real, even in Box. If I think you're not going to foul me then I might well risk my superstar wardancer in a last-ditch move which could score the TD which will win or tie the game, whereas if I think that failure has a good chance of him being killed then I may well not try it at all.

That said, personally I'd try it anyway ;)
Exactly, you have to be willing to loose players, If i had wanted to i could have given up with 4 turns to go leaving my few remaining players on the floor, but I was still standing them up dodging in/out of triple tackle zones then going for it to put a 2 dice block his choice on his Chaos Warrior who held the ball. I never give up and when coaches do then I don't respect it.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Wow that was a painful match to watch :lol: . To be fair the earliest he could have safely scored was T7 and that would have been really stupid. I wouldn't have fouled the Mino in that situation but I do sometimes foul on T16 just for the hell of it and don't particularly care if people to it to me.
Btw if he had put 3 beastmen on the los the one turn touchdown attempt would have been much easier and even if you didn't try it would mean three guys knocked down instead of maybe one.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Yes all my matches are painful to watch, I'm just a crap player :lol:

I don't think it would have been Stupid to score earlier. he could have pushed for the win and had the chance to gain more SPPs, which from his play style suggests that is what his aim was. At least he didn't ask me in the chat to fast forward the game or something...

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Both coaches contributed to the pain lol.

Scoring on turn 7 is really bad, gives you a chance of a two turner and no chance for him to score a defensive TD.
While he could have maybe scored before turn 7 he would have needed to take risks and no-one wants to do that vs Elfs.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Ok I'm starting to feel more and more guilty the more I think about it...

:oops:

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Never,ever give elves the ball and two turns to score. You are asking for trouble.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Heff wrote:Never,ever give elves the ball and two turns to score. You are asking for trouble.
That would be a really nice segue into another much-loved TFF topic :lol:

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Manuel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Manuel »

Well, if he didn't want to be fouled, he should have scored earlier. Pretty simple indeed. That way you would have been busy trying to score another TD.

It's like teaching a dog to poo outside your house. You stall, you are kicked in the face.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

I'm with Heff on this one. There might be certain special occasions, where a T16 foul is appropriate, but this doesn't look like one of them.

So, he annoyed you in some way or other. So what? Main aim of the game (at least for me) is to have fun. He obviously took the fun out of it for you and then you took it out for him as well, potentially. What was to gain by that? Other than both of you being grumpy and annoyed by the other (and the manical laughter of course)? Be the better man! He probably didn't know better...

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
TheDoc
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TheDoc »

Depends on the situation.

If it is my T16 and the oppo has a turn remaining with the possibility of that player getting up and scoring - then yes I drop the elbow with shout of don't get up you little (Add expletive).

if it is T16 in a league match and it does me no good then No. You are only aiming to hurt a player which is a bit bad form.

T16 in a tourney... I am with Lunchmoney smack the little git for giggles. He'll regen next round anyway.

Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

I took a dwarf warhammerers team to a tournament a couple of years ago ('roller, slayer, 2 blitzers, runner, blockers to 11, and induced chainsaw and bomber... no rerolls). I fouled pretty much every turn I could, caused 2 or 3 casualties with turn 16 fouls :P (and another 4 or 5 from other turns :evil: ). They didn't count for anything, just went with the fluff of the team.

If someone gives you a mino on the last turn, they are asking for it to be fouled. Sure, box (and ranked for that matter) may seem meaningless, but if you face that team in 2-3 weeks in a tournament and that mino has skilled up, you'll be regretting that chance :wink:

The main thing you did wrong was not trying for a one-turn score to win it... sounds like he left it open for you, even if it would have needed some harder blocks.

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

In progression T16 fouls are a little bit of a dick move. I'm all for fouling, but the game is over when the score cannot be changed and nobody can score any more SPPs. After that, fouling (or crowd pushes) are petty, vindictive and childish. Blood Bowl is both a game and an RPG, and by killing off your opponent's players (the aim of the foul after all), you are just lessening his future enjoyment of the game.

As for the "if it is in the rules" argument: there are no rules against spending the game stinking the place out with awful farts or wiping snotty fingers all over your opponent's models. It still reflects poorly on your character. There are no laws against being a massive pillock in real life. Still not a good idea.

But hey, that's life. There will always be a large number of people who act poorly and then snigger and say "what you gonna do about it? Ha ha!". But if you do act poorly, don't be surprised if you run out of opponents eventually.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

Joemanji wrote:In progression T16 fouls are a little bit of a dick move. I'm all for fouling, but the game is over when the score cannot be changed and nobody can score any more SPPs. After that, fouling (or crowd pushes) are petty, vindictive and childish. Blood Bowl is both a game and an RPG, and by killing off your opponent's players (the aim of the foul after all), you are just lessening his future enjoyment of the game.
The RPG aspect of the game implies a sort of Roleplaying.

I'm pretty sure pretty sure fouling on turn 16 is what my players would do. That's good roleplaying.
And the crowd goes wild.

The truth is that most coaches are scared their nice developed players will die and are more interested in farming teams than winning.

I don't foul for spite. I don't foul for revenge.
I foul because I'm playing Blood Bowl.

And I'm a on-pitch, RPG omicidal maniac in a league of omicidal maniacs.
Who are having a great fun.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Rolex wrote:
Joemanji wrote:In progression T16 fouls are a little bit of a dick move. I'm all for fouling, but the game is over when the score cannot be changed and nobody can score any more SPPs. After that, fouling (or crowd pushes) are petty, vindictive and childish. Blood Bowl is both a game and an RPG, and by killing off your opponent's players (the aim of the foul after all), you are just lessening his future enjoyment of the game.
The RPG aspect of the game implies a sort of Roleplaying.

I'm pretty sure pretty sure fouling on turn 16 is what my players would do. That's good roleplaying.
And the crowd goes wild.

The truth is that most coaches are scared their nice developed players will die and are more interested in farming teams than winning.

I don't foul for spite. I don't foul for revenge.
I foul because I'm playing Blood Bowl.

And I'm a on-pitch, RPG omicidal maniac in a league of omicidal maniacs.
Who are having a great fun.
This is such a good exchange. Sums up BB for me :)