Burn Out

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Burn Out

Post by J_Bone »

I've had a run of awful luck lately and am beginning to get frustrated with it... I've decided to limit myself to tabletop league games for a bit. Packing in FUMBBL and Cyanide in order to try to get my frustration levels back down to my usual level of simmering resentment.

Reason: ''
The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
lanky316
Experienced
Experienced

Post by lanky316 »

WeeManBiggins wrote:Quite lucky at our club as we are part of a wargaming club. Playing every other week allows people to play other things so "burn outs" don't occur. Maybe playing board games in between if you are interested in them. There is a massive market now and you can find a game for almost anything, a few weeks of change could do some good.
It's because of this that I'm able to keep in the loop in some way. Earlier this year I really overdid the Blood Bowl and I've still not completely recovered. Just thinking of typing in Fumb... nope can't do it, makes me curl into a fetal position at the moment. I'm a part of the local league again but I do owe a part of that to being able to go off and play other games regularly as well as an element of roleplaying in the way I play (my team are made up of nice guys forced to play as a Chaos team due to community service) meaning between that and my generally poor dice I can make it more fun. Yes it's a competitive league but depending on my opponent it can become more of a social laugh.

My last match ended up becoming a ploy to kill a certain zombie in the Undead team I was against because three turns earlier he'd been one of my beasts, as well as trying to lower my TV with injuries so as to reduce inducements available to my next opponent, leading to a difficult decision of whether to use an apo on my minotaur to try and get a MNG injury result due to his phobia of werewolves. I still claimed a moral victory due to the opponent using two number 12s on the field at the same time (that these were an unpainted ghoul and a painted zombie is irrelevant). In a game against some of the much more serious coaches (not necessarily better, some of our best coaches are great fun to play too), or those that insist on fag breaks every few turns, I can see me struggling but in between games of whatever happens to be going on elsewhere I can still handle the league play, I'll skip the open tournament for now though!

Machiavellismx
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Machiavellismx »

WeeManBiggins wrote:Quite lucky at our club as we are part of a wargaming club. Playing every other week allows people to play other things so "burn outs" don't occur. Maybe playing board games in between if you are interested in them. There is a massive market now and you can find a game for almost anything, a few weeks of change could do some good.
Exactly this. Our club had a Bloodbowl league with semi-formal games, we'd arrange some but never had to play them in that order. Being able to mix it up with other games/card games massively helped. Like anything, you don't want to binge, you want to keep it fresh. Board games classic's like Catan and Carcassone can also be a very fun mix. Can't recommend them enough. If people are a bit jaded, or don't have the mentality to sit down and try to grind a result out one week, they're very quick to learn, quite fast and fun. It's amazing what a single week away from the game will do. A couple times I came back fresh and did better than before.

Naptown Wendigo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Naptown Wendigo »

I'm a big fan of variety as a solution. I own a lot of different miniature games and rpg's to scratch that gaming itch.

Maybe in between seasons find something completely different than Blood Bowl to take a step away from the pitch. Something like a mini rpg campaign.

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Whenever I've been Nuffled, playing euro games is like a detox process. Agricola, Caverna, Dominion etc, anything without dice as the primary mechanism.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
WeeManBiggins
Experienced
Experienced

Post by WeeManBiggins »

Dominion is a cracking game to play. Easy to learn and everything right in the box.

HDWSBBL Commissioner
axiom
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by axiom »

I do stuff with my kids and wife, watch TV, meet up with friends, go to a drawing class and play badminton. I usually play a game 4 weeks out of 6 - gaming is part of a wide mix of leisure activities and as a result I've never had burn out in over 25 years of pushing small figures around a tabletop.

In my opinion, if you're playing so much you're getting burn out, you're playing too much ;)

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
TheDoc
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TheDoc »

As Weeman and Lanky say our club is pretty good at alternative games (not just BB) and the high level of fluff in the league helps (remembers he must add bios to his undead team) as you can put a bad week in as part of the story of your team. That's what I did with my vampires for 2 seasons and it came about that a myth was created about the "Cursed #8 shirt" which caused death and destruction to whoever wore it.

Alternatively take a break. BB can sap the soul and by not playing fumbbl and cyanide will help. Small World is a good game if you fancy something new or Ticket to Ride.

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

My proudest moment is looking at the opponent. My drive, 8 turns to score Wood Elves, and hold off chaos for at least a draw. OK that was the plan... 1-0 down the whistle blows and...

9/11 Elves placed prone due to a pitch invasion. OK that plan was quite !censored! really.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)