Rationale behind forcing 11 players to the set-up?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

jawCross
Rookie
Rookie

Rationale behind forcing 11 players to the set-up?

Post by jawCross »

Have you ever thought the rational behind this rule: "(During set-up) no players can be placed in the Reserves box if fewer than 11 players are available" (wording from BB2020, but rule was also in BB2016)

I played with Snotlings (which is pain even without this rule) and this rule kicked me couple of times:

I was receiving in the first half and scored on turn 8. Used the bribes for Secret Weapons (two Pump Wagon and Bombardier).
Then after miserably failing KO recovering I had exactly 11 players on Reserves to set-up for this useless opponent's turn 8. I was forced to put all my secret weapons to the field even I don't get a turn!

Another drawback: I have master plan to use Swarming to teleport Snotling from Reserves to the very near of the ball after scattering. But I have less than 11 players available and must set-up them all.

From my point of view this rule is harmful (only) for Secret Weapons and Swarming. And this rule kicks-in the moment when team is already losing and needs a little bit of bravery and heroic deed (I'm biased).

Why this rule exists? What will break if using House Rules to allow hiding in the Reserves?

Reason: ''
Loki
Legend
Legend

Re: Rationale behind forcing 11 players to the set-up?

Post by Loki »

Are you asking why the game has the rule as a mechanic... as at the most basic level BB is a simulation of real sport and in real sport you don't hide players then bring them on when it suits you. Soccer and American Football teams will both 'protect' players from injuries or potential rules sanctions (e.g. Yellow cards) but they always put 11 men on the field when they can.

With reference to it as a mechanic of the game it would help both Snots and Goblins but also would also reinforce the Dwarf Deathroller which saw a lot more game time in the recent NAF Championships than its ever done before.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Banelord
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Banelord »

Long time ago you had the possibility of having a MW11+gfis = one-turner player (gutterrunner).

During this time you had to take only 3 players to the pich... a nearly sure draw for skaven. And you nearly never hat the chance to Blitz this ugly player.

Come to the Baden Basho!
Onyersix
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Onyersix »

As someone who has dabbled in quick scoring teams, and also included some players with secret weapons, i have been on both sides of this.

If you're running the secret weapons, you want the drive to take as long as possible to maximise their use.

If you know that your opponent has secret weapon players on the pitch, you want to score quickly to force them to use their bribes up in the hope that the get dismissed early.

I would say that it's just the risk you run with secret weapon teams that you take, and why you stockpile the bribes to minimise this risk of losing them.