MVP vs Experience Rolls

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

MVP vs Experience Rolls

Post by Marcus »

Just because this has come up in a couple of threads lately:

Try replacing MVP draws with "experience" rolls. After each match the coach rolls a d6 for each player. If the result is higher than the number of SPPs the player already has they gain 1 SPP in "experience".

Advantages:

- Removes the random element of MVPs and the "prettiest player" phenomenon (you know, that lineman who does nothing at all but has 5 MVPs)
- Gives a bit of a boost to starting teams while restricting the growth of experienced teams. This is a slightly more elegant solution than tweaking the aging table in this regard.

Options:

d6 seemed appropriate because it means a player could never "automatically" get a skill just by showing up enough (unlike the MVP rules).

You could adopt the rule to use 2d6, or 1d8 or 1d6 with the "1 fails, 6 passes" rule so that a player could always get their point if they rolled a 6, regardless of SPP total.

Thoughts?

Marcus

Reason: ''
Toby

Post by Toby »

Well not bad 8)

"most Valuable Player" for the player who performed best.
"Experience" for everyone who played that match.
"Play of the Day" award for the most spectacular play of the match.

Most Valuable Player
5 SPP for one randomly selected player on each team.
Experience
1 SPP for all players who played that game and were rookies before the game.
Roll a D6, if the result is > the players SPP, the player gains 1SPP Experience.
Play of the Day
3 SPP for only one team's player. Flip a coin and nominate a player on the opposing team.

I have no idea how to get rid of random "MVP" and abuse of "Play of the Day", but experience works fine.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

That's a hell of a lot of extra SPPs there Toby.

If we were going to have anything like this sort of thing I'd much rather see each player gaining a participation SPP on a roll of 4+ after the game. That could mean a lot of rolling though.

Alternatively, the spread SPP experience roll: three rolls: first player gets 3 SPP, the second and third one each. Same no. of SPPs, rewards more players, lessens the "pretty lineman" syndrome to a degree.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Gaining Experience
Rookie Players, who did not miss the game because of Injuries may have gained Experience.
After the match, roll a D6 for all Rookie Players on your team.
If the Experience Roll equals or beats the number of SPP the player had already collected before the match, the player gains one additional SPP. A roll of one always fails, a roll of 6 always succeeds. Update the Player's Title along with the collected SPP before you make any Star Player Rolls for the player.

This is mixing Marcus "Experience Roll" with the "1SPP per game I suggested" previously. It could replace the MVP but i am not sure if thats a good Idea Thadrin. Stars and Superstars need a lot of SPP to further advance so the MVPs are really needed to reach high levels. Experience should adress the low level Players that creep around there.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Toby - precisely the problem I have with Marcus' idea is tht it is limited to Rookie players. So instead of lots of players stuck on zero the effect wil be lots of players stuck on four or five SPPs.

Now, if you want to add it to the current MVP system thats fine, but to avoid an overload of SPPs we should bring the SPPs for the MVP award down, to 3 perhaps.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Thadrin wrote:Toby - precisely the problem I have with Marcus' idea is tht it is limited to Rookie players. So instead of lots of players stuck on zero the effect wil be lots of players stuck on four or five SPPs.
I think that means your Linemen get their 1st skill a little bit faster.
I mean that would be good wouldnt it ?
Thadrin wrote: Now, if you want to add it to the current MVP system thats fine, but to avoid an overload of SPPs we should bring the SPPs for the MVP award down, to 3 perhaps.
I don't know if the 2 things affect each other that much at all. A MVP for a Lineman would basically mean a SPR for him. Where do you see more SPP in the game because of XP ?

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Thads:

If you keep the D6 but include the "6 always succeeds" rule then you keep an average of 2.66 SPPs per game for a full roster, regardless of the SPP levels of the players.

This obviously increases dramatically for lower rated teams or for new players.

Part of the idea here is to help limit the growth of well established teams without changing the aging table, so it seems sensible that more developed teams should suffer a little by comparison.

Marcus

JenniRP70
Da Ex-Boss

Post by JenniRP70 »

I'd be happy if the name was changed. I don't see a problem with a randomly selected player getting their 5 SPP increase. I do when a player who only lasted 1 turn before being sent to the D&I box gets announced as MVP.

I used to enjoy making up house rules that boosted SPP's quickly, but I've matured a bit now :-? . The experience roll, does seem more appropriate so I'm for it on that sense, but I'm not sure about it being only 1 point.

Hmm, although the player would get to roll every game, it would take a lot longer to get that first roll which I'm not too keen on. But there's a strong chance that multiple players will get a point per game until reaching 6.........still undecided.
JOhnnyP

Snotling Championship League Commisioner
[url]http://www.bloodbowl.co.uk[/url]

Da Boss of TalkBloodBowl.com
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I like it.

TiMuN
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by TiMuN »

Well .. i already have 3 or 4 players on my last team with 4 or 5 SPP, waiting to gain those extra, or a loose MVP ... so i like Marcus' idea

regards

[b]TiMuN[/b]
[size=75][img]http://www.bloodbowl.net/NAF/ArticleImages/naf.gif[/img] Member #181
[url=http://www.bloodbowlforo.org]BloodBowlForo.org[/url] | [url=http://spanishteam.tbbl.org]Spanish Team[/url][/size]
Trambi

Post by Trambi »

Seems really good !
:D

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Worth mentioning at this point that I still like the MVP rules. I like the idea that it's completely random, and that it's entirely up to Jim and Bob who they liked that match. Especially since it's often "most entertaining player death" that gets it.

The system I recommended keeps the average SPPs per game higher for low TRs, lower for high TRs and more evenly distributes the SPPs around the team.

It's intended as a possible house rule for those who are uncomfortable with the MVP rules. If you like it, ask your commish to give it a go and let me know how it works.

Marcus

Trambi

Post by Trambi »

Markus do you think it's possible to use experience roll and MVP in the same time ? :roll:

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

I think both at once would be a little over the top. The rule was intended as a replacement for MVPs, not to run in addition to them.

Marcus

Trambi

Post by Trambi »

to balance the difference of team rating, the less strong team can run in addition experiences roll and MVP.