Guard - player's guide?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Guard - player's guide?

Post by celticgriffon »

Hi everyone,

The members in my league are having some difficulty getting our heads around Guard (myself included).

Are their instances where the Guard skill is cancelled out? Has anyone written a guide to this skill?

Cheers,
Michael

Reason: ''
If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Loki
Legend
Legend

Re: Guard - player's guide?

Post by Loki »

There are no instances where the Guard skill is cancelled out as such, if both coaches have a Guard assisting then they both add one to there respective team members strength.

It should be noted that this doesn't mean cancel out as in the situation where an Ogre blocks a goblin if there are no assists the Ogre gets three dice Str5 vs. Str2, if they both have an assist (guard or otherwise) it's only a two dice block for the Ogre Str6 vs. Str3.

The main thing to look for is, is YOUR Guard standing next to THEIR player when a block is happening. I have seen a few times (especailly in the heat of a game) someone go 'but but I have a guard' when he is standing next to your player but not their player in the block.

I haven't seen a guide for Guard but it would probably be quite short, along the lines of 'The more Guarders the better it is for you'.

Hope that helps at least a bit

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Thanks Loki - this is another classic example of me reading more into things than necessary. I think I remembered reading a post on guard cancelling out; but now I cannot for the life of me remember where...

I am happy to pronounce we have been playing things correctly... phew... one bullet dodged... now everyone should check out my comments on inducements... lol

Cheers,
Michael

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the.tok »

Guard is the best skill ever, nothing can cancel it :D

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

celticgriffon wrote:Thanks Loki - this is another classic example of me reading more into things than necessary. I think I remembered reading a post on guard cancelling out; but now I cannot for the life of me remember where...

I am happy to pronounce we have been playing things correctly... phew... one bullet dodged... now everyone should check out my comments on inducements... lol

Cheers,
Michael
They were probably referring to a ST3 player blocking another ST3 player, both with a Guard assist. In that case they would effectively cancel each other out as they’d both add +1 ST to each player making them both ST4 so it would still be a 1 dice block.

But as Loki has already pointed out they still add assists so thinking that way can cause confusion when working out 3 Dice Blocks.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ullis »

I find this useful for thinking about positioning Guard (both myself and the opponents):

"If the Guard is in only one tackle zone, it's useless"

Winged_Human
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Winged_Human »

the.tok wrote:Guard is the best skill ever, nothing can cancel it :D
I disagree... IIRC doesn't hypno-gaze cause you to lose your TZ, therefore nullifying guard?

"Never trust the Manlings."
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Doesn't work to well in the Dead box either. :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Winged_Human wrote:
I disagree... IIRC doesn't hypno-gaze cause you to lose your TZ, therefore nullifying guard?
Yes.
Darkson wrote:Doesn't work to well in the Dead box either. :wink:
And yes ;)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Winged_Human wrote:
Also failed really stupid will do it as my trolls demonstrate quite often....

Failed bonehead as well.

the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the.tok »

glowworm wrote:
Winged_Human wrote:
Also failed really stupid will do it as my trolls demonstrate quite often....

Failed bonehead as well.
<useless arguing incoming>
Guard is not cancelled in those instances. Guard still applies, but there is no tackle zone where it is applied, which gives the same results. But you knew what I meant anyway :roll:

Are you going to add it doesn't when in reserves, or when doing a move/pass/handoff action? :orc:

The point I wanted to make is basically TC shouldn't be looking at "when is it cancelled" cause it's basically not cancellable in the way he seemed to think