Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wrong??

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Re: Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wro

Post by Grumbledook »

you can't stand up after gazing as that ends your movement

so if you fail bloodlust you would need to stand up first, gaze, then bite

Reason: ''
trentusdementus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trentusdementus »

Digger Goreman wrote:So, and let's see if I get this right:

Vamp is prone
You'd like him to stay prone
You roll bloodlust and, if passed, may choose to keep him grounded... then gaze....
If you fail bloodlust, you can either have him stay grounded, gaze and leave (for failed bloodlust and not standing next to a thrall)... or... have him stand, gaze, and bite an accomodating thrall.... Of course, if he's on the sideline, it's a probable problem for you....

Is all that correct?
No. The gaze comes at the end of his move. The vamp cannot gaze and then move.

trentusdementus
Rookie
Rookie

Grumbledook wrote:you can't stand up after gazing as that ends your movement if you fail bloodlust you would need to stand up first, gaze, then bite
Or stand up, move, bite, then gaze. :wink:

You don't have to declare the gaze. As read, it occurs at the end of the move.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Vamp is prone
You roll bloodlust and, if passed, may choose to keep him grounded... then gaze....
If you fail bloodlust, you can either have him stay grounded, gaze and leave (for failed bloodlust and not standing next to a thrall)... or... have him stand, gaze, and bite an accomodating thrall.... Of course, if he's on the sideline, it's a probable problem for you....

Is all that correct?
Yes this is correct.

To rephrase what you said since two people said you were wrong and you were not:

If he is Prone and all you want to do is Gaze someone:
If you pass Blood Lust you can stay prone and gaze.
If you fail Blood Lust you can A) stay prone, gaze and then be sent to reserves (turnover) or B) stand up, gaze and bite a thrall.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

GalakStarscraper wrote:To rephrase what you said since two people said you were wrong and you were not:

If you fail Blood Lust you can A) stay prone, gaze and then be sent to reserves (turnover) or B) stand up, gaze and bite a thrall.

or C) stand up, gaze, not bite a thrall, and then be sent to reserves (turnover)... (?)....

(just to be more complete)

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

you could opt for that as well yes ;]

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

GalakStarscraper wrote:

Vamp is prone

Is all that correct?
Yes this is correct.

To rephrase what you said since two people said you were wrong and you were not:

So the proper order is GAZE then BITE.

I wasn't sure because both Bloodlust && Gaze occur at the "end" of the action. From reading the skills Gaze looked moreso at the end. I guess the list of actions that occur AFTER the bite was an exhaustive list and Gaze goes first.

Also I didn't think you had the option not to bite IF you were standing adjacent to a Thrall. I thought the line went something like "If he is standing adjacent to a Thrall teammate then pick a Thrall to bite". Where in the skill description do you get the option not to bite??

Note: I would PREFER the option not to bite ... I just don't see it in the description that if you wind up standing next to a Thrall that you have an option not to.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

bloodlust lists what things have to be done after a bite, passing, handoff, scoring, as hyp gaze isn't on that list, it happens before the bite

it says choose one to bite standing next to one, not that you have to do so, it is perfectly acceptable to take the turnover and remove the vampire to dugout instead if you wanted

i'll admit you can take that the other way but it isn't how it was intended to be

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Grumbledook wrote: it says choose one to bite standing next to one, not that you have to do so, it is perfectly acceptable to take the turnover and remove the vampire to dugout instead if you wanted

i'll admit you can take that the other way but it isn't how it was intended to be
I strongly prefer your reading. I'm glad you at least see my POV. For me "choose one" == "must choose one". Now "may choose one" would be totally different to me.

Obviously going with the intended meaning is preferable to rules lawyering :)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Alamar wrote:Note: I would PREFER the option not to bite ... I just don't see it in the description that if you wind up standing next to a Thrall that you have an option not to.
We did some rewording of Blood Lust with the newer editions and I missed that that was removed (pretty sure it was there at one point). So you are correct Alamar ... if you are next to a Thrall when you move has ended and failed Blood Lust and not suffered a turnover during your turn ... than you must bite the Thrall.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

so might as well dodge away then

don't think I've ever actually been in the situation where I haven't wanted to bite a thrall I was next to in all the games I've played with vamps

I can see why you might want to, just the circumstances have never come up

given that now at worse it also just a badly hurt I see even less times you would want to opt against biting the thrall, before when I had a st4 thrall I wouldn't have wanted to kill them with a bite, I killed enough rookie ones doing that back in LRB4 ;]

trentusdementus
Rookie
Rookie

Alamar wrote:
GalakStarscraper wrote:

Vamp is prone

Is all that correct?
Yes this is correct.

To rephrase what you said since two people said you were wrong and you were not:I only said no to gazing and moving.

So the proper order is GAZE then BITE. Gaze happens at the end of the move. The bite must happen after the end of his move/block but before his pass, hand-off, or score.
In your example he could do all of it except move after the gaze. He must always feed if he can.

This is the way it is written. Isn't it?

Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

trentusdementus wrote: In your example he could do all of it except move after the gaze. He must always feed if he can.

This is the way it is written. Isn't it?
guess I'm confused, but none of the examples given has the Vamp moving after the gaze..
I think people are mis-reading this:
gaze and leave (for failed bloodlust and not standing next to a thrall)
as the vamp moving..but it's not, it's him leaving the field because he wasn't next to a thrall to bite.

-Xeterog
trentusdementus
Rookie
Rookie

So was I. Sorry for the confusion. :wink:

petitgars
Experienced
Experienced

Post by petitgars »

Two questions
Greyhound wrote:so just to be clear... If I blitz from a square with a tentacle.

1) I declare my Blitz
2) I try to move away but I'm tentacled => ends the move
3) can I still block the tentacle guy or did the tentacle actually KILLED my action.
Does tentacles work if i blitz from a square with a tentacle WHEN blitzing without dodging/leaping? (for example:

TBO

T: tentacle
B: blit
O: other
If B blitz O, follow the block (out of tentacles), no tentacles roll, right?
Galak wrote: It should be noted as well ... I also believe that successful Tentacles would not allow a Vampire to bite a Thrall and thus force him to leave the pitch. The logic is exactly the same as the logic I just stated above for Hypnotic Gaze.
If i don't move, and bite an adjacent thrall, does i have a tentacles roll to do?
For exemple:
TVt
T: tentacles
V: vampire
t: thrall

For me, the quote of Galak is for the case : the vamp failed blood lust, first try to dodge/leap, second WANT to bite and adjacent thrall (but CAN NOT because his movement action is ended). But does a vampire had to try a tentacles roll if he only want to bite an adjacent thrall (without any dodge/leap first to bite)? If yes, why?

Sorry for the questions, and the bad english. The two are linked. :(