Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wrong??

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wrong??

Post by Alamar »

Issue: Let's say I have a Vampire that declares a move action. The Vampire tries to dodge away from a player that uses Tentacles. The Vampire fails his action. Is the Vampire allowed to Hypno Gaze the Tentacle player after failing the Tentacles roll??

From what I understand a Hypno Gaze occurs "at the end of his move action" ... With Tentacles once you fail the roll then "his action ends immediately".

The way I read that is that Tentacles wins because the HG is part of the Move Action and the move action ends the second you fail. However other folks are telling me I'm wrong but I don't see why???

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wro

Post by sann0638 »

Hypno wins, though couldn't tell you why!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Can anyone clarify where my interpretation is wrong???

Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

I'm not sure where the confusion is... you can hypno-gaze at the end of a move action. Tentacles causes your move action to end.

It's as simple as that...

Commissioner of the Cascadia Blood Blowl League
Bellingham, WA USA
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Khail wrote:I'm not sure where the confusion is... you can hypno-gaze at the end of a move action. Tentacles causes your move action to end.

With your rephrasing, I have to agree.... I was on the fence till then, and I think it has to do with considering the HG as integral with the Move Action.... When I mentally separate them, it becomes much clearer....

Thanks Khail!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Khail wrote:I'm not sure where the confusion is... you can hypno-gaze at the end of a move action. Tentacles causes your move action to end.

So you're saying that [in effect] that Hypno-Gaze is something that you can do after your declared MOVE ACTION is over ... right??? Note Tentacles not only stops you from moving but it also immediately ends your MOVE ACTION.

I was under the understanding that Hypno-Gaze was something that you did during your MOVE ACTION after you have opted to stop moving your figure further. Note I was thinking that because you stopped moving your guy further that didn't necessarily end your MOVE ACTION thus leaving room to get the Hypno-Gaze in just before the end of your MOVE ACTION.

UGGG ... Will I ever get the entire game down perfectly?!??!??

Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

Hypno Gaze is used "at the end of his Move Action on an opposing player who is in an adjacent square."

Tentacles: "If the result is 5 or less, then the moving player is held firm, and his Action ends immediately."

The interaction between these two skills is pretty cut and dried. Tentacles ends the move action, hypno gaze is used at the end of the move action. There's no contradiction. Those quotes were taken from the skill descriptions in the CRP.

Bellingham, WA USA
alternat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by alternat »

Khail wrote:Hypno Gaze is used "at the end of his Move Action on an opposing player who is in an adjacent square."

Tentacles: "If the result is 5 or less, then the moving player is held firm, and his Action ends immediately."

The interaction between these two skills is pretty cut and dried. Tentacles ends the move action, hypno gaze is used at the end of the move action. There's no contradiction. Those quotes were taken from the skill descriptions in the CRP.
I still don't understand if you think that HG can be used, or not. :lol:

Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

Yes, it can be used. The if you read the rules, there's no "think" - the rules tell you exactly how the skills interact. You're clouding the issue with preconceived notions that are extraneous to the issue. Just read the skill descriptions.

Bellingham, WA USA
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Khail wrote:Hypno Gaze is used "at the end of his Move Action on an opposing player who is in an adjacent square."

I disagree ... there is possibility for confusion even with native English speakers.

If I tell you "I pay my bill at the end of June" you would certainly interpret that to mean that I pay the bill DURING the month of June.

Applying the same logic to "At the end of his move action" as you did to "at the end of June" you can easily interpret that the Hypno Gaze occurs during the Move Action after the movement is over. Note I consider "movement" and "Move Action" to be separate things. Plenty of room for confusion with Tentacles.

Personally I'd have been happier if Tentacles would have been reworded so it stops all "movement" but you may continue your "Action" from the square you're in. I.E. you can't move further but would be free to Pass, Handoff, Gaze, etc. from the square you are currently in to any otherwise valid targets.

Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

Khail wrote:You're clouding the issue with preconceived notions that are extraneous to the issue. Just read the skill descriptions.

Bellingham, WA USA
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Khail wrote:
Khail wrote:You're clouding the issue with preconceived notions that are extraneous to the issue. Just read the skill descriptions.
Would you care to point out preconceived notions???

What is wrong with interpretting "at the end of his move action" and "at the end of June" in exactly the same way??

By my reading you can't use Hypno because it fires during the Action [at the end of it] ... Tentacles cancels the Action so you don't get to choose to Gaze.

On a side note having players do things when it's not their action [and they just took it] seems quite odd.

Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

I got to say I'm with Alamar on this one.

It says "The player may use HG at the end of his move action...", not 'after his move action has ended'. As Alamar said, if someone said they were going to pay me at the end of the month, I would expect them to pay me that month, not after the month had ended. It is the same with passing and hand-offs, you do the pass or hand off at the end of the action.

Therefore Tentacles wins, cause even though HG is at the end of the action it is still part of the action.

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

When anyone starts bringing in real life, and starts arguing semantics, the beards come out! :lol:

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

But arguing semantics is the best form of arguing! :orc:

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton