Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wrong??

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Hypnotic Gaze & Tentacles ... did I get another rule wro

Post by Khail »

Don't mistake us rules lawyering it up on the forums for the community turning into a bunch of competitive asshats at the tabletop. It happens on the forums because it's the appropriate place for it. When you're sitting across from an opponent you rarely ever see a rules argument that can't be solved by either a) reading the rulebook or b) asking the commish.

BB in general has very tight and well written rules, much more so than most other tabletop games. When a discrepancy does (rarely) get found, it tends to generate a lot of discussion.

Reason: ''
Commissioner of the Cascadia Blood Blowl League
Bellingham, WA USA
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

And not that often do you get the wierd interactions.

Tentacles holding a Vampire is a mix that outside of Vampire vs Nurgle (MAYBE Chaos) is not that normal.

It can happen but its the wierd rare interactions that create these discussions.... not day to day Blood Bowl. I spent too many hours working on the wording based on discussions like this one for it to effect day to day Blood Bowl.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

GalakStarscraper wrote: I spent too many hours working on the wording based on discussions like this one for it to effect day to day Blood Bowl.

Oooo . ..Oooo. . .

Can I insert my "Tom's Hijacked Bloodbowl" here now? :lol: :P :wink:

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Asperon Thorn wrote:Can I insert my "Tom's Hijacked Bloodbowl" here now? :lol: :P :wink:
Yup because if you can turn all the work that I did to go through everything that I knew was worded badly at that time to make it more clear as a negative ... I'd love to see it. :roll: :wink:

I'm sure you can pull it off somehow ... but in this case the hijacking was very long overdue for the game.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Khail
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Khail »

GalakStarscraper wrote:And not that often do you get the wierd interactions.

Tentacles holding a Vampire is a mix that outside of Vampire vs Nurgle (MAYBE Chaos) is not that normal.

It can happen but its the wierd rare interactions that create these discussions.... not day to day Blood Bowl. I spent too many hours working on the wording based on discussions like this one for it to effect day to day Blood Bowl.

Galak
Absolutely correct - pretty much every recent rules argument I can think of for BB has been over oddball situations that never really come up in game, this one included.

Commissioner of the Cascadia Blood Blowl League
Bellingham, WA USA
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Well, the one good thing that came out of this is the tactical implications of gazing while down.... There are times, sidelines and odd situations, when staying down is best.... Being able to do so and still zap away.... Heh, heh... don't mark me with just one anymore...!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Alamar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Alamar »

Digger Goreman wrote:Well, the one good thing that came out of this is the tactical implications of gazing while down.... There are times, sidelines and odd situations, when staying down is best.... Being able to do so and still zap away.... Heh, heh... don't mark me with just one anymore...!
Even before this a player that marked a Vamp with just one guy was asking for disappointment. When they don't roll 1s Vamps can do LOTS of nasty things :)

Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Asperon Thorn wrote:Can I insert my "Tom's Hijacked Bloodbowl" here now? :lol: :P :wink:
Yup because if you can turn all the work that I did to go through everything that I knew was worded badly at that time to make it more clear as a negative ... I'd love to see it. :roll: :wink:

I'm sure you can pull it off somehow ... but in this case the hijacking was very long overdue for the game.

Galak
Give me a few weeks, a basket of figs, and a few mice. And I'll have it done. :P

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
trentusdementus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trentusdementus »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Want another fun one with Vampires.

Let's say you a Vampire that for some very wierd reason you wanted to leave Prone on the pitch ... you can still Gaze adjacent opponents while Prone (same way that Distrubing Presence works while Prone).

Galak
BEEOOOTEAFULL!

:evil:

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

trentusdementus wrote:
GalakStarscraper wrote:Want another fun one with Vampires.

Let's say you a Vampire that for some very wierd reason you wanted to leave Prone on the pitch ... you can still Gaze adjacent opponents while Prone (same way that Distrubing Presence works while Prone).

Galak
BEEOOOTEAFULL!

:evil:
you still have to declare a Move action and roll BL

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Seeing as I want to play Vamps at a tourney one day, I need to print out that post by Galak. :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Tourney Vamps... WOOF!, you'll either spectacularly mow 'em down... or feel "the bite" of utter defeat.... Still, I salute you, Sir! Tis' a noble endeavor.... :)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

daloonieshaman wrote:you still have to declare a Move action and roll BL
This is true as well ... you still need a 2+ on the Move Action before you can Hypnotic Gaze while Prone.

Galak

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Digger Goreman wrote:Tourney Vamps... WOOF!, you'll either spectacularly mow 'em down... or feel "the bite" of utter defeat.... Still, I salute you, Sir! Tis' a noble endeavor.... :)
Have you seen my NAF record? Feeling the bite is more likely! :lol:

[Edit] Of course you haven't seen my NAF record...[faceplant]

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

So, and let's see if I get this right:

Vamp is prone
You'd like him to stay prone
You roll bloodlust and, if passed, may choose to keep him grounded... then gaze....
If you fail bloodlust, you can either have him stay grounded, gaze and leave (for failed bloodlust and not standing next to a thrall)... or... have him stand, gaze, and bite an accomodating thrall.... Of course, if he's on the sideline, it's a probable problem for you....

Is all that correct?